Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career change to I.T?

• 21-04-2024 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hoping someone would be so kind as to provide some advice or perhaps point me in the right direction to someone who possibly could!

I'm mid 40's, and working in financial services as a people manager in business, been working in since graduating from university in the early 2000s. Falling a bit out of love with it in recent years and changing landscape and more politics and admin.

Anyway, I graduated with a BSc in computer science in the early 2000s,but never had a chance to use the degree and by accident fell into business.

However, of lage have been thinking of going back into this industry, especially as the company I work at have tech opportunities. Just don't know if this would be possible at my age or where on the ladder I'd start to get back into this as it's over 20 years since graduating, understandable it may involve a pay cut etc etc, but realistically is it even possible or worth transitioning and what area of IT, or is there a qualification that can help 'refresh' as such?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,032 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is your degree level 7 or 8?

If its 7, its useless unless you can study full time for a year to get a L8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You'd need some more IT qualifications that you've got recently like within the last 2yrs to have a hope. Level 8 and above.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭koifish

I'd look into the likes of Springboard (heavily subsidized by the government, especially for ICT, cybersecurity etc.) for further study in IT, Computer Science and a masters in either (if your previous is a level 8) to refresh your original degree. https://springboardcourses.ie/ Definitely ask within your own organization also and what they'd recommend for further study or support.

Advertisement