Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduce Width of Wooden Post

Options
  • 21-04-2024 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

Our side garden gate is a pretty standard setup with a shooting bolt type thingy on the gate and an upright wooden post that the movable part of the shooting bolt fits into to close the gate. That wooden post is about 6 foot in height and is 3 inch by 3 inch. As often happens over time, the post and the gate have both got bigger over time due to temperature related effects and now the gate won't close smoothly - it "hits" the post. As a result, I need to reduce the width of the post by about quarter of an inch for the top 18 inches to 1 foot of the post to allow the gate to close easily (without it being a test of strength :-) ).

Given the above scenario, what is the best approach? I figure some kind of plane but would appreciate advice on brands / models (electric / manual / cordless?) or whether there is some other approach (i.e. other than planing) that might work?

Thanks in advance for the help!

super_freddie

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you sure they haven't actually moved? a quarter of an inch is a hell of a lot for wood to swell.

actually, it'd be half an inch if it had swelled a quarter inch on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

@magicbastarder It's fixed to a metal pillar thingy at the bottom so pretty sure it hasn't moved. It might be less than quarter of an inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Would it be easier to take the gate off and cut ¼” off that instead? A circular saw would do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

Its a strong hint that the wood is absorbing enough moisture thats its close to end of life.

sounds nuts trying to shave the post instead of an easy run of the saw on the gate. Or maybe wait a few more days till it dries out, and you will forget about it till next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You could possibly move hinge slightly on gate or cut/ plane the gate itself. The last option would be to plane the post imo as its more work and may be even more obvious than a planed gate.

I'd probably router out a rebate on the post meaning you would only have to do part of the post and create a stop for the gate all in one job.

• Advertisement

@whizbang It's been like this for a couple of years but only getting around to posting now so unfortunately a few more days of drying out won't make any difference.

Yeah, cutting the gate might be an option but reckon I would need to take it down to ensure it's stable for cutting and lacking a little manpower / help to do that. Hence, the idea to plane the post which is stable in place.

Moving the hinge slightly is an attractive option. Can you you explain what you mean by "router out a rebate" please?

Thanks again!

Update on this - checked the hinges and they are up against a wall without any scope to move back further so will either need to cut the gate or plane the post. Still thinking about that one…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I assume they mean to use a router and take out a recess of desired depth the full length of the post. You dont cut fully through the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The most DIY novice friendly approach is to get a hand plane and take something off the gate.

But, before I did anything, I would get a level and see which has moved/swelled, the post or the gate.

You dont want to adjust the wrong one as it will be a PITA when you go to replace the gate if you also need to replace the post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement