Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Insulation Boards, Advice please

Options
  • 21-04-2024 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi All, currently gutting and renovating a detached house built in 1980. We're putting up internal insulation slabs throughout the house, but does anyone know is there a significant difference between using 62mm v 82mm boards. I'm conscious the bedrooms are quite small and I don't really want to eat into available space. On the other hand, my architect said I'll get a better BER rating by going for the deeper option. Price is an extra €800, but that's not the main issue for me. Anyone have regrets afterwards? I know now is the time to get everything right while the works are ongoing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

To loose an additional 18mm for a much warmer home is a no brainer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

To me, theres a diminishing return here. I'm pretty comfortable at my 62.5mm limit.

Well fitted, ceiling to subfloor @62 is going to be better than badly fitted 82.5mm. Just make sure theres no possible air gap at the top and bottom of the boards, and you will have a very cosy house, even though the BER wont reflect it.

Are there any sockets fitted to the external walls; how are these being fitted…. etc.→ loads of details that will make the difference.

Advertisement