Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are some people not growing up?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭thereiver

Most of gen z live at home cos they cannot afford high rents and house prices are very high some people may watch anime or sci-fi films why would a 50 year old man watch Peppa pig

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

As is typical for Boards, much bitterness, begrudgery and judgementalism dripping from so many posts in this thread.

I'm just turned 49, I am a university lecturer, I have a Lego hobby and also play computer games occasionally. Being a super-serious adult can be very miserable at times...

Plenty of adults do things they enjoy that others don't. It's called live and let live as opposed to being bitter and judgmental at others because they enjoy doing things you may not like yourself - or secretly feel envious of.

Being young at heart is a very good way to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

totally - being or acting stupid sometimes, letting your hair down etc is all about being human - if someone thinks they have to leave “play” behind when they reach adulthood then they’ll just have a sad gits life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

But that's fine because it's mainstream.

Giving out about people going to comic con but a fully grown man having a mini breakdown when "his" premiership team loses while cosplaying as his fave player is grand though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In 1997, the most common living arrangement for an adult aged between 18 and 34 was being in a couple with children, according to the Resolution Foundation think tank. Now, it is living with your parents.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c72plr8v94xo

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I spent much of my life growing up, in my 60s I’m definitely growing down. I get away with stuff I wouldn’t have in earlier years, I indulge my outrageous dimension as never before and I enjoy it so much. Fun is not just for young folk. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Before I go into my probably long post, I would like to ask, what exactly makes one grown up? If not age, is it employment? Or property ownership? Is having a family, partner, kids, pet(s), mortgage, driving a crossover? Or is it only having certain interests, like soccer, drinking and reading? I'd love a definition, because I'm sure I've got most of them covered, except for the interests part. This is where I'll probably blow the OPs mind…

I'm 42. I've never been unemployed for more than a week since I've been 18, worked part time through "college" and worked 3 jobs in my 20s. I was a Garda for 10 years, and I've had a few different jobs in the last 10 years. Currently looking again after being made redundant for the second time in a row in 7 years (should be 3, but I left the 3rd last job 6 months before they made everyone redundant). I realised years ago that marriage and kids is not for me. I owned a house, after renting by myself for years, but circumstances happened and I've only just cleared my loan for a house I haven't owned for nearly 10 years. In that time, I moved home temporarily which turned into a suitable situation for me and my parents, I could look after them while the siblings had their lives, kids, marriage, etc. It's now just me and mam, and I'm trying to make the rest of her life as good as I can, that's my main purpose in life right now.

I've tried to get into sports. As a kid, being short, I never got picked for anything. This lead into my teens/20s where due to previous non-participation outside of my control, I lost interest. Watching soccer now is worse than watching paint dry. I had a social life for a while, drinking myself stupid with everyone else, calling it a great time. I no longer drink, my body and mind thanks me. I do however partake in the devils lettuce, but no one is perfect. It doesn't interfere with my life, and in fact I still believe it benefits me in the way of not wanting to murder stupid people anymore. Or at least stops me from being bothered about going about it.

The only constant throughout my life has been gaming. I'm a gamer. As in, I play games as often as I can. And that's video games btw. Pong machine>Atari 2600 Jnr>SNES>PS1>PS2>PS3/Xbox 360>PS4/PC/PSVR>PS5/Xbox SX/PSVR2. I love it. Always have, always will. It was always there for me when I needed it. It keeps my overactive mind concentrated. It's my reading, watching and partaking rolled into one. I've been on amazing journeys, experienced mind blowing stories, and nearly always left satisfied. Out of everything in my life, it's the best bang for buck out there, hands down. For me.

When I'm not gaming, I'm usually watching anime. I have a CrunchyRoll subscription, and use it heavily. I think the main reason I love anime more than western animation is that anime is usually all about the story, and it knows it's not realistic so it doesn't try to be. I want my entertainment to be entertaining, and constantly reminding me of the real world (which sucks btw) is not entertaining. It's not perfect, nothing is. It has quirks and certain… local tastes one needs to just accept and move on. But it also has some of the most hard hitting stories, ones definitely not meant for kids, ie: Attack on Titan and Berserk, which explore the depths of humanity's depravity.

I do watch "normal" shows/movies, but I still prefer the fantastical ones. Give me sci-fi or fantasy over realistic or gritty. Arthouse is lost on me. I'm a simple guy, with simple needs and I know what I like. I'm not going to waste any more of my life pretending to like things I just don't. I saw a comment in this thread along the lines of "I don't like football but I know enough to engage with others" and I'm like, why? They won't have the same level of respect for my interests, so why should I? Call it not growing up, but I always had and will soon again have a full time job (I'm taking a month, thanks redundancy), I pay my bills on time (excluding the whole mortgage thing, but that's a completely separate rant), I provide for myself and any dependants (my mother). I don't have the distractions of kids, a partner and all that other family stuff, so I have plenty time to game and watch what I want to watch. And I'm harming no one.

If that's considered not growing up, then sure, I don't want to. I don't want to be something I'm not anymore. I've wasted enough time trying to be what everyone else wants me to be to the detriment of my mental and physical health. I'm done. People suck, they all have their own set of expectations but don't think it's a two way street. I'm gonna keep doing what I do, and then some day I'll be dead and none of it will matter. I just hope the OP can eventually see life in a similar fashion, and no longer waste time wondering why more people aren't like them.

Now, if you'll excuse me, future humanity has been destroyed and as a space baby Angel I need to go murder some aliens on a destroyed earth. You can keep wondering why I'm doing it, I'll be smiling ear to ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭thereiver

I like standard action films and comedys and tv sitcoms.i also like some sci fi action and anime like ghost in the shell .i also like some marvel films like the avengers but there,s alot a lot of average superhero films that are being released that i would not watch .I think its ok to watch sci or anime or marvel movies .If you like that type of media it does not mean you are not grown up . We all have acess to alot of media ,tv channels and various type of genre sci fi .i dont think theres anything wrong with playing games on pc or console systems .Theres a problem with the housing crisis, eg single people mostly cannot compete with a couple who are both on a good salary and are bidding to buy a house or apartment .

the situation in the usa is similar eg alot of Gen z workers will never be able to buy a house near where they work as house price continue to rise and interest rates are high

So alot of young people have to live at home while they try and save up for a deposit on a property

this means young people are waiting longer to live together or get married than say people in the 90s .

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/mortgages/advice/gen-z-homebuying-guide-how-im-preparing-to-buy-a-house-in-10-years/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Astartes

Im 38, have 2 kids under 6, job with a fair bit of responsibility, mortgage, car loan etc and whatever your having yourself.

I take 2-3 hours every evening to game online with friends, I'm a big fan of colouring too, I'm always at my eldest to go colouring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

We all know where Lego leads to . . . . stepping on a piece in the dark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Fathom is a fathom tall. Growing upwards would make clothes shopping troublesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Packrat

A bit early on the gargle or the ganja there.. No?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Ganja? Currently living in the Emerald Triangle on Pacific side. Ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

It's the final days of the Empire. We're in Rome, the last bastion of the old prosperity and splendour, drinking the last of the wine and eating the last of the olives. The thumping sound in the distance is the barbarian horde at the gate coming to get us. We're no longer thinking about an even better tomorrow, we're just going to eat, drink and shag until the lights finally go out.

Advertisement