Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance renewal - list of 'regulation' questions?

Options
  • 22-04-2024 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi

I've just gone on to renew our home insurance with Chill. I couldn't log on to their renewal portal. I got them on the phone and they had a list of 'regulation' questions for me to answer such as do I have a home office, do have a business on my premises, is there subsidence in the area etc. Just want to know is this just Chill asking questions or is there such a thing as 'regulation' (He didn't expand on that term) questions?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I wouldn't get hung up on what word they use to describe the suite of questions. Bear in mind that since the enactment of the Consumer Insurance Contracts Act 2019, the onus on disclosure has shifted. Under the old system, the customer was obliged to volunteer any information which could fall into the category of 'material facts'. This no longer applies and nowadays, the insurance company asks you a series of questions, you provide truthful answers and you are not obliged to volunteer any other information.

But, since you asked, the word 'regulation' that your call agent used may have been in reference to the legislation quoted below, specifically subsection 2….

8. (1) The duties in this section replace, at the pre-contractual stage of a contract of insurance, the principle of utmost good faith (uberrima fides) and any duty of disclosure of a consumer (including any duty on the consumer to volunteer information) that applied prior to the commencement of this section (whether that principle or duty arose at common law or under an enactment).

(2) The pre-contractual duty of disclosure of a consumer is confined to providing responses to questions asked by the insurer, and the consumer shall not be under any duty to volunteer any information over and above that required by such questions.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2019/act/53/section/8/enacted/en/html#sec8

Advertisement