Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a step-by-step thread about DIY Attic Conversion (+Pro Help)?

Options
  • 22-04-2024 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I want to do an attic conversion on our 1953 3BR semi-detached (the standard Cork City model see below) and would like to do as much of it myself as possible. I've recently come into some time (not money, mind you!). Long story short: it's an 11-month chance to spend some time working with my hands and learning how to do things I've always wanted to do (and in many cases have done).

So, first, is there an existing Boards.ie thread that does a blow-by-blow of what needs to happen in order to do a DIY attic conversion — including which bits need to be done professionally? I've looked around a bit, but have mainly found bits and pieces of info on threads that usually end in: "just get a professional". That's not the info that I need. I'm happy to get an engineer's assessment and pay for professionals for major lifts, but that would go in the "which bits are pro" category (see above).

If there is such a thread, please link! Thank you in advance!!

++

If there isn't such a thread already, here's what I'm hoping to do: create an attic bedroom for my 15 year old that maximizes space and minimizes fuss. We're not looking to add value to the house or have it officially converted to a 4BR.

I'm hoping to have professionals do:

-the electrical work (2 outlets and a ceiling light).

-one rear-facing skylight (i.e. w/o need for planning permission).

-removing the crossbeam timbers (and adding any necessary bracing).

I'm hoping myself to do:

-Flooring

-Insulation

-Plasterboard

-Stairs

-Seal the concrete block and chimney brick

++

Notes: I've read up on not compressing the insulation, and plan on building a structure over the 2x6 joists on which to lay flooring of 2440 x 590 x 18mm T&G OSB (probably have carpet and pad professionally installed). I've done insulation and plasterboard before on an attic conversion. I bought a nice beech and pine ladder from valentineladders.ie and will probably use the existing access point, not cut and frame a new one. I'm also hoping to seal the stone and brickwork of the 1950s era house to leave it exposed as an architectural element.

Any and all tips welcome!

Many thanks all,

Griff

++

Here are the photos!

not our house, btw, but you get the idea…

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Im in a similar but different situation, converting an attic that is already set up for conversion.

At a first you should get someone in to look at the structure and see how best you should reinforce the attic trusses to open up the space and reinforce the floor.

That'll be job number 1, then lay the floor, fit the windows, fit the insulation, the stairs, the electrics, the plasterboard, then finish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Get a professional for the stairs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭10-10-20

At first glance that roof didn't appear to match what I had in mind for a semi-d hipped roof, but I think it's just the wide-angle lens that's making it look more complicated than it is. Plus, I can't work out what the arch is at the shared gable… is that a common structural element from the 50's or is that the confluence of interlinked chimneys?

Anyway the most pressing item is to find out whether the existing structure of joists and supporting walls will take the proposed load, or whether they need strengthening. Then secondly it's getting a professional design for that roof. I think that until you have a design for the roof timbers you can't make much progress on planning much else as other than roughly guessing where knee-walls will be fitted. The big question will be the collar ties and how much head-height they will allow for.

From my view as a DIYer, I'd also be looking to get many of the insulation and heatloss problems brought up on boards.ie into consideration now - and that necessitates that you also address the insulation and heatloss issues overall within the house rather than just in the attic. Critically, that requires addressing air-tightness from first the elements of this build, and to achieve that I'd be clearing every piece of insulation out of the attic and addressing any air-gap around piping, cables and plasterboard joints. Then decide whether you're going to fit a toilet and sink and plan and work out how that's going to fit in with the existing plumbing, etc.

The main heatloss and insulation issues brought up here are: condensation on felt and a lack of cross ventilation; insulation and airtightness detail from the joists to the knee-wall and then from the knee-wall to the rafters; vapour-permeability of the original plasterboard ceilings (as they don't have a vapour control layer); excessive humidity levels in the lower living rooms causing rising moisture levels in the attic… and in-ceiling downlighters and how to maintain the thermal and vapour control envelopes if they are fitted.

Don't forget that there is legislation around head-height and emergency egress which will apply to any works and that's probably what @shesty is indicating above. Good luck!

Advertisement