Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shift Allowance and Promomtion

• 22-04-2024 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I was a CO working a 24/7 shift pattern and had a shift premium allowance of 25%. I was recently promoted to EO, carried my allowance as I had more than 1 year of service on shift, and was put on point 6 of the EO scale. I am now working a normal daytime schedule and my shift allowance has been removed. If I was to move to another post, EO to EO, or EO to HEO, and it had an allowance would I qualify for the allowance on top of my current salary? I know circular 08/2019 states you can't benefit from an allowance twice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

Not sure you got an answer to this already, but no, you will be reverted to the starting point on the scale or depending on your CO salary with out the allowance, it will be the nearest one plus one for example if your base pay was 33k and point 1 was 32k point 2 34k you'd go in at point 3. And then the new 25% allowance on top of that, if you do go back to Shift premium make sure NSSO actually take the previous allowance off you otherwise you will end up with a massive over payment, i know a few it has happened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 1tsThatGuy

Thanks Ken. There was me thinking I was going to make my fortune in the civil service. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sohara00

Yes you could get the allowance, but you would not be able to carry it forward a second time. So if you got an EO allowance position you would get the 25% allowance but if you got promoted again you would start at point 1 on the HEO scale.

The "Benefit" they mean in the circular is about holding on to the money when promoted.

And I speak first hand from this because I carried an allowance from CO to EO and then lost about 10 grand taking the HEO afterbeing on an EO allowance last year.

Advertisement