Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Men who Eat like Boys

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I think so, but i do know a very small number of women who eat like children.

One of my wifes sisters, only eats plain chicken and chips, but will ask someone else to order for her.

the other only eats beef, but has to be incinerated and wont eat chunky chips, only skinny chips.

I've some friends who will literally eat anything, I spend a reasonable amount of time in India and tbh, you want to be a picky eater there 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think the definition of fussy eater varies a lot between people as well.

There's a big difference between someone who'll only eat chicken nuggets and someone who just knows what they like.

I've been accused of being "fussy" before because I didn't want to eat a vegan bean curry, I simply don't like beans and never have in any shape or form.

I've never met an adult that has that child-like fussiness eg something akin to nuggets and chips diet, but I've met a few that'd say there's nothing on the menu they can eat despite there being about 20 options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You don't know anything about them.

Take me for example. I'm sure you'd think I was boring.

I don't like veg, especially when it's cooked in a particular way. But I also have a dodgy tummy (It's a hiatus hernia). The advice when i was diagnosed was to eat nothing spicy or salty, nothing too hot or cold in temp, nothing too fatty or sugary or anything too acidic. Avoid nicotine, alcohol and caffeine.

It pretty much condemned me to blandness.

I have discovered nuance though. Italian food is generally fine but tomato sauces really mess me up. Mexican is a no-no. Indians like a Korma are fine and weirdly, I was in india and although I avoided most of the spiciest food, my tummy was ok with most things.

And generally if I'm not sure about something I just don't eat it because it's not worth feeling extreme nausea and acid-reflux.

And I'm certainly not about to judge someone because of their diet. I know people who are autistic. I'm one of them. And a lot have restrictive diets. You're willing to write off these incredibly interesting people because of their diets.

You should really open your mind. They might avoid certain foods, but you avoid people. Intolerance like that will just restrict the people you interact with. And that's far more restrictive than someone who is fussy about food.

Yep, yep, you've completely misunderstood what I said (and then clarified). I don't find out what people eat and make a decision about whether they're interesting or not. How would that work where you find out about someone's eating habits BEFORE you spend time with them?

What I did say (a couple if times) is I've found a strong correlation between boring people eating children's foods. It's in that direction, not the other direction. Do you see the distinction?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Anecdotally I know two people like the OP (not just fussy eaters, but will literally only eat 2 or 3 things), both are women.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the only fussy eaters I know are fussy through necessity.

My dad has a heart problem the last 22 years or thereabouts so he has to have a good level of discipline as to what he eats. He’ll have one takeaway every two weeks otherwise eats lots of fish, daily some dark chocolate (which is recommended for heart issues), vegetables, nuts, basically anything that’s good for heart health…

Only things I don’t eat really is fish and turnip neither of which I can stomach, not compatible with my tastebuds. I eat a very varied and healthy yet enjoyable diet.

Don’t see the men eating like boys thing at all. Got to be a very lame attempt at a windup. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Suckler

Invariably these threads end the same- 'How dare you call me fussy, I have a medical condition…etc. how dare you etc.'

It's clear the OP isn't on about people with medical issues (a broad term, I know), but childish eaters.

It's one of those threads I suspect , "why isn't everyone like me and wasn't it great before mobile phones and we knew about autism etc."

It wasn't long ago we ate the same soul-less sh1te meals in every house. Pasta was suspect. Any one that could cook rice was a master chef (save until Uncle Bens boil-in-the-bag). Boil that veg until it's just on the cusp of baby food (select traditional veg, nothing too exotic) , no "blood" in beef sure its undercooked, pork will poison you unless it's drier than a Saharan stone. A Sunday outing was capped off with the ubiquitous carvery. Meat + two veg and roll out of there with the meat sweats was testament to a great meal, small portions can f0ck right off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I was a fussy eater as a kid, no fruit/veg/fish and it drove my parents crazy, especially my dad who would dish out a few slaps as punishment but to no avail. It was the 80s so there were no books or internet searches to find a solution. It was an aunt of mine who cracked the code. She made all the kids ham and cheese toasties, because my sandwich contained onions I refused to eat it. She took out the onions and cut them up into very small pieces and put them back in against my knowledge. After I ate it she asked me how I liked it, I told her I loved it.

For me it was more about the size and texture of foods more than the taste. I'd eat anything nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Not a fussy ester now bur still eat slowly and 1 thing at a time unless a Chinese or a stir fry but do fing myself eating the veg first in them

YeYeah I've a mate who does that with most things. He likes food hot so he eats it in order of how the types of food will cool down.

Why do you prefer to eat things one at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Not great with swallowing different textures I think.

Advertisement