Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak in ensuite visible in front room

Options
  • 22-04-2024 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi guys we had this stain appear when daughter left tap on upstairs months ago. Floor tiles were wet upstairs and the hole where the pipes go through the tiles was quite wet. Left all to dry out and the stain didn't seem to get any worse. So assumed it was just a matter of painting ceiling downstairs when we are painting front room in few months.

The waste basin in the sink was corroded so I put a new one in today. Ran the water for five minutes after it was changed and no water at all came from the visible pipes and connections under the sink. However the stain on the ceiling in the living room looks like it's come out more vividly. Don't know if it's just because we are staring at it that we have noticed it more.

In any case what's the best course of action. The tap is rarely used at all and never on for five minutes like today so I'm half thinking of just leaving it be and see if anything noticeable shows up one coming weeks and months. Ceiling Doesn't feel wet to the touch.

My partner wants to get it looked at. I'm wondering if a moisture metre test might be a good idea first. But I've no idea if an old stain would still show up higher with the moisture metre than the surrounding areas?

If we get a plumber out would it be cheaper to cut the Tiles upstairs and try and put them back down or would it be better to go through the drywall from below? Thanks for any advise. If any plumbers are looking for a job pm me. Based in clane. Want to get an idea of cost. See photo taken today after we ran the tap for 5 or so minutes. It looks a lot more noticeable because the flash on the camera but it appears like the pipe under the tiles going from the sink to the downpipe near the toilet is where the leak was/is.

Cheers

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi! If there's no sign of a leak or moisture around the area then I'm not sure what a plumber is going to do other than strip out all of your work and re-do it, so I reckon that it would be money down the drain - so to speak. Those stains can appear to worsen and brown slightly as they leech through the paint. I'd recommend putting newspaper under the tap/drain where the leak was and then see if it shows any signs of damage in the coming months. Then paint over the marks with a stain-blocker first, then normal ceiling paint.

Advertisement