Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspection by Council of rental property

Options
  • 22-04-2024 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Has anyone had one of these inspections, my apt was built on 2003 and is relatively well maintained and I’ve been notified about one of these inspections. I have the usual fire blanket/ext/relevant appliances in working order (gas boiler is 10 years old but serviced regularly)etc. Is there any issues I need to look out for? surely they wouldn’t insist in an electrical/plumbing certification ? The bathrooms have no windows but have extractor fan and a wall heater in the main bathroom but none in the ensuite ……any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Expect a long list of things to do.

Full electrical test cert will be asked for.

I'll DM you what I got if you wish (if I can work out how)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

No idea why post went up twice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Don't worry about it, the extractor fans instead of windows is a plus. They won't be looking for certification of electrical or plumbing. You might have to fit some trickle vents on some window frames which is a mickey mouse job that costs pennies. Once everything is working and there are no obvious issues the apartment should pass easy enough.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I heard some people end the tenancy every time they get an inspection letter and then restart the tenancy a month later to be put back to the end of the queue. Not sure if this actually works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I got small things like put those child locks on the upstairs windows. Add a fire blanket. Fella doing the inspection said to tenant the place was great that they were lucky but he had to put something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭society4

Yes please could you DM me the list…. I read though that the extractors have to be manually controlled with a switch with 15 min cut off ….mine activate with the light and switch and go off after a few mins when light turned off…….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I had an inspection a few years ago (2019) and the only thing I got dinged for was lack of CO2 monitors which was an easy fix. No mention of need certification for electric/plumbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 HarryHeart

I've had three houses inspected.

The first needed a new carbon monoxide detector. It was beeping so the tenant had binned it. ??

The second needed child safety locks on the upstairs windows. This is a small job.

The third had a carbon extractor over the cooker on an inside wall. They said it needed to be extracted to an outdoor wall. This was quite expensive and I feel was an unnecessary job.

I was never asked for an electrical test.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mr_ak

I had this inspection done today on the apartment I'm renting and we couldn't find the fire blanket (had it somewhere in one of the drawers) and the inspector mentioned she'll put it down as "fire blanket not available"

Would that be an issue for my landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Not a big issue, but it is a requirement for all rented properties. AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

Should be no issue once you actually locate the fire blanket, since then it will be there, but it's a terrible idea to cram it away in a drawer in any case; it's required for a reason, and if something goes wrong you really don't want to be spending an hour digging through all of your presses while your kitchen burns down around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That's correct there has to be a 15 minute delay in the extractor to prevent the possibility of mould. At worst it will mean buying a replacement extractor fan and having an electrician run an extra wire to it. It's no big deal and is worth it to get it done in the long run.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mr_ak

You're right. I was being careless.

I couldn't find it in the two drawers I checked at the time so the inspector just said she is going to mark it as not present because it had to be on the wall anyway. I was concerned that this would create an issue for my landlord.

Anyway, I informed him and he said he'll get it fixed to the wall soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's actually good to let the inspector find something easy to fix like that. If they don't they keep looking and find something more difficult/expensive to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Extractor fan certainly have to go to the outside and a completely necessary job.

An extractor fan in a bathroom for moisture does need to be vented outside or else the bathroom needs a window that can open to provide ventilation.

An oven extractor fan does not need to be vented outside, it can use a carbon filter and recirculate. There are many apartments that do not have a hood/extractor fan vented to the outside, I have 2 houses which both passed strenuous inspection and neither had the hood vented to the outside. I am not certain if there are requirements for ventilation if there is a gas cooker, or if the room where the cooker is needs a window that can be opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Just curious here. I know a landlord who had an inspection and he had to install an extractor fan through the bathroom wall, even though there was an opening window and plenty of ventilation. Why was an extractor necessary in that situation?

• Advertisement

Not an extractor fan if it does not extract to the outside. Apartments do extract to the outside

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hontou

I used to own 2 rental houses. One house had HAP tenants and was inspected regularly. They always found something. At the start it was very costly as I had to make changes to windows and create new vents which was fair enough. However, the tenants blocked the vents as they made the house colder but then complained to the council about the resulting mold. More inspections. The other house (similar property) had private tenants and was inspected less until recently. The tenants wanted new fencing and a new heating system and asked the council to inspect the property and recommend upgrades. I complained to the council and pointed out that other houses in the area never had any inspections and why did we have so many? (We are fully compliant with all regulations). I sold the first house because of the hassle and am giving notice on the second soon. I agree entirely with standards but the system is unfair when tenants cause the damage that is inspected and/or not all properties are inspected equally.

In our apartment block, there are 6 that have no exterior vented hoods, they use charcoal filters.

Advertisement