Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate looking for advice on how to enter the Civil Service

Options
  • 22-04-2024 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I'm just reaching out here for some advice. I'm a final-year student studying politics and anthropology. I'm so far projected to get a high 2:1, maybe 1:1 if I'm lucky. I'm interested in working in the civil service, however, I'm confused about what the best way to go about it is. I was wondering if any people knew what the recruitment phase is like (do they still do an entrance exam etc.), or what role I would be eligible to get into with a level 8. Also, is it worthwhile to get a post-grad, or is it better to maybe enter into a clerical officer role, or am I able to access a higher role with my degree? Also, any info on what the work is like, and how good career progression is would be appreciated. Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭kksaints

Keep checking Publicjobs.ie for competitions to apply for. With a degree you should be able to apply for Administrative Officer roles as well as Clerical Officer. Competitions will always have an interview and very often an assessment exercise. Work will vary with role and Department. Career progression is what you make of it, some go up the ranks very quickly, others stay in the same role for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Beckett99

OP, I'm a graduate with a Masters degree. I apply for every publicjobs campaign for Clerical, Executive and Administrative officer roles. Also, Temporary Clerical Officer. In my experience, and due to my rural location, I've been on various panels with decent OOM that expire and then I just reapply next time around, so I think location is a factor with entering the CS, with Dublin obviously having many more openings.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Kamu

Also look at 3rd Secretary public jobs posting. I say that would interest you the most, but it.is highly competitive. https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/information-hub/latest-news-and-events/756-careers-in-the-irish-diplomatic-service-third-secretary

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭koifish

As a graduate in politics you'd be more than qualified to apply for specific graduate roles and positions such as AO, EO etc. Keep an eye on PAS for new recruitment panels and drives for AO grades but also try reaching out to your local college career advisors or mentors, attend local graduate recruitment events like at the RDS, etc.

I'm not sure if you've mentioned location but Dublin with be the busiest area and has the most HQs for many departments, so you'd have plenty of mobility and career progression opportunities. But worth getting a foot in the door there first and relocating later on mobility if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ted222

Don’t do a post grad for the sake of getting into the public sector. It’s overkill. It’s absolutely not needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,855 ✭✭✭billyhead

Not needed to get in but it does improve the cv so it's no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Kamu

It can help to get specific roles; again 3rd Secretary would have many people starting with a post-grad and probably only a few with just an undergrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ted222

It’s no harm alright but it’s a lot of work for something that will offer only a marginal difference at best. The time would be better spent preparing for the AO exam and interview.

There have been some right doozies taken on as AOs in the last few years. They’ve played the game and presented well at interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,855 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree. If you can talk the talk you have a good chance of being recruited.

Advertisement