Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Tuition

Options
  • 23-04-2024 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭

Hello

Im considering retiring next year and wondering about this to Supplement my income.

Has anybody done it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

I used to do a lot of it in person then online but I find there is so much on offer now online that I'd say I'll never get another grind again. Lots of young teachers/graduates with business degrees setting up online grind schools where students can watch the recorded class any time they want. Instagram is full of múinteoir X, Y and Z offering all sorts of classes. Actually you may be talking about home tuition for a student that for whatever reason is not attending school?? I've never done that myself but would not think there are too many opportunities there. I could be wrong. I'm retiring early myself at the end of this school year. Cannot stand to stay for another year. I'll be working with 3rd level with student teachers. There's lots of demand for retired teachers to do this work and all the teacher training colleges need supervisors. I'll also keep up my SEC work. I may consider a very short spell of subbing in my subjects in a local "nice" school. I haven't really answered your question though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I was thinking of teenage students who don't go to school. Through the department.

I have done a bit with trainee teachers. Dissertations. The money is not great but they might pay more to supervise.

To be honest I think a lot of what they teach them in these colleges is disconnected from the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i just spotted your comment on local "nice school" what type do you go for usually and what do you stay away from? i do the subbing myself and same as that i go to the local "nice schools" ! i ended up getting a maternity leave this year from it, but to be honest unless i get a job that may lead to something the casual subbing is lovely when you see what teachers have to deal with permanent day to day. you need the second income though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I'm just interstested in teaching pupils at home perhaps online. Students who don't go to school for medical reason etc

Advertisement