Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper Downsizing Tips Needed

Options
  • 23-04-2024 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭

I had a medium sized camper years ago (Ducato , 6 berth - with permanent double bed in the back) and the kids (teenagers!) woudnt go anywhere with Mrs Rider and & I. It was too big for the 2 of us, so got rid of it . Always thought about getting a little weekender …..and 2 weeks ago we finally did! A Vivaro LWB with pop-top and R&R bed. Lovely condition and pro conversion inside.

Lots of cabinets, ok size, but the door opening is small. There is a fridge, but its small. Have a Tetford cassette(?) porta-potti but nowhere to put it (refer to small doors mentioned previously). Have covered it with nice skirt and cushion so its useable as a stool when not used for middle-of-the-night reasons.

So, not new to campers, but looking for some tips / experience in downsizing , how to keep things simple , what do I def need and whats a nice-to-have?

One thing I figured out after the first night is what cabinets / doors are unusable when the bed is extended! Learned to keep middle-of-the-night stuff in different presses after that! lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

The things we find essential are as many usb points as you can squeeze in. Any spare surface should have a net tidy for easy access to things like phones and glasses. Somewhere to stow an outdoor table and chairs.

The thing we couldn't live without is a side awning. It makes a huge difference to your outdoor experience and in a crowded site it defines your space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

We use storage bags and containers for everything - there's a cooking box, another for table wear, sleeping stuff, his & her clothes etc. started of trying to get plastic ones but the material ones are better I've found.

Only one person can do anything at a time - getting dressed etc

We have no toilets, too much for small vans!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

@Shoog - was thinking of adding an awning, or at the very least some beach wind breakers. Love the USB . net tips too. Thanks

@Alkers - we have boxes and deep trays in cabinets and some are more effort than they aerw worth. Cloth box / bags sounds good. Good space under the bed. Just have to get into good routine for using them …. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

If you can afford the €800 or so for a fiamma F45 they are well worth it. Our upgraded sprinter van came with a brand new one and it is a joy to use - out in a min and away just as quickly.

We had on our original T4 a F35 which is about half the price of the F45 but a bit more faff to put up. The original cloth perished and we got new cloth which means it needed pegging out.

We also have a windreak which encompasses the awning area and gives a really private little space.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Van Doozy

I dont like wind-out awnigns personally. I have a railsail which i like. More of a faff to set up but more flexible if the weather isn't great - you can have the sides down very steep as a rain guard or whatever.

I have a Fiamma brand portapotti which lives under the bed. The Thetford version wouldn't fit in the doors.

One thing about a smaller camper is having to be extremely selective about what you bring with you on each trip though - that is if you don't want to spend the entire weekend playing jenga with all your stuff every time you want to sit down or make a cup of tea.

It makes packing for a weekend away a bit more onerous. I would imagine with a larger van you can fire in bikes, bodyboards, wetsuits, BBQ, hiking gear, awning, the whole shootin' gallery… and then just go with the flow on your travels. That approach simply doesn't work in a small van.

I have plastic boxes in my house with all my stuff in it and before i go camping every time i need to make decisions on what i'll be at and where I'll be staying (wild camp, aire type setup or campsite) whether i will be hiking or swimming or what… and then make some decisions about what's going to be left at home, and bring the boxes with the stuff i want.

You'll love being able to park in a supermarket carpark, and do 3-point turns in narrow streets though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Thx @Van Doozy , the pre-packed boxes in house then selected to suit the weekend sounds good.

Yea, the small size was also picked so we can park it in our driveway (and for supermarkets, busy towns , small petrol stations , etc)

Advertisement