Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Valuations...

• 23-04-2024 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a new insurance policy on the house, but they want me to get my watches valued. Where's the cheapest place to get it done who will give me a high valuation. I'm not interested in ever selling them, but if any were to be robbed I'd like to get like for like rather than being forced to dredge eBay for replacements.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I use Breretons on Capel Street. They'll value them at what they think they're worth, not what figure you have in your mind. Likewise if you were ever robbed the insurance company will have their own valuation. You won't automatically get what Breretons value them at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks,

I was thinking them or Dawson Jewellwers… Any idea how much they charge for a valuation?

Depends on how many watches you have and how much research they have to do - they won't just accept your word for it - but €100-150, I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I know it's probably no use to you, as it's down in Limerick but, I've found Matthew Stephens to be very helpful with sorting valuations for my watches. I've bought a few pieces of jewellery there over the years but, never a watch. When I was sorting out my insurance, they were incredibly sound and didn't charge.

A handy way of making sure they're the 1st stop on any jewellery shopping trip to town. I know the big smoke is a bit more cutthroat 😉 but, surely if you have a bit of history with someone up there? They'd sort you out on similar terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm having difficulty with this, Breretons will only value watches they sell. I haven't had a response from Sheerans, Weirs or Dawson Jewellers...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Do you have a relationship with any jeweler, i.e. bought from them before?

I've used Keane's in Cork as they are local, no issues getting valuations on stuff I bought elsewhere, but I'm a customer there too, so that may help.

Which Breretons was this? I use the one at the top of Capel Street and no such issues at all.

Advertisement