Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 1/2 Marathon advice?

Options
  • 23-04-2024 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Have started running and doing c.3/4 runs a week and total volume of 15ish km.

Trying to ease my way in and keep runs slow and relatively okay, so doing over 6 mins a km at present.

Would I be mad considering a half marathon in September? If not, any advice as to how to train? Have decent fitness from a year or two cycling where I've an FTP over 300W but not sure how/if that transfers to running!

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Very doable if you run 4 times a week, you just need to gradually increase distance and not worry about pace

If Sunday is your longer run, you just need to gradually increase it over the next 5 months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Last year I started training in February for a half at the start of July, so a fairly similar timescale, and I was not starting from running 3/4 times a week or had a decent level of fitness from anything else, I was over weight and the furthest I had ran was 5k.

I ran 3 times a a week for a few weeks, then 4 times and eventually 5 times for the last 6 weeks or so.

My advice is to keep the consistency up, stick with the easy running and keep the distance increases pretty low, 10-15% should be enough to get you to where you need to be. I think the max I ran before the half was 18k, so you don't need to get to the full distance in training

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If you can do 10k now then getting to 21k is quiet easy with consistent training. Getting to the 10k from the couch is the nightmare part of it.

Advertisement