Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tertiary treatment system

Options
  • 24-04-2024 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi there I'm new here so if this has been discussed already please just point me in the direction where I might find it.Im renovating a small cottage (2 bed) in a wet area (Co Leitrim) and the architect has specified a tertiary treatment system to replace the existing ancient septic tank.I know nothing about them and as there are a few different types I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has similar up and running and why or why not they would recommend theirs. I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Has the architect carried out an epa percolation test?

Septic tanks are primary treatment systems, so I can't see how this is being replaced with a tertiary treatment system?

What's proposed as the primary and secondary treatment before it gets to the tertiary treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

The septic tank itself may still be in good working order, but back in the day the percolation areas were generally just a soakpit which would obviously need to be upgraded to current standards. My guess is that the architect presumed a new system would be required, unless they are QQI/Fetac certified site assessors you should get a professional in to survey, assess and design your new treatment system.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭gordon029

Hi there thank you both very much for the replies.So to answer your questions, yes there was a site survey done which included a percolation test and the existing septic tank is just a concrete box just above a water course.The systems I have looked at are by companies that are respected in the business .There is the initial tank and the then the waste flows through the secondary system then out through a willow bed or CoCo filters.Any thoughts / wisdom very welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I think you might be overthinking it. Once the system has been properly designed and complies with the EPA Code of Practice and IS EN 12566 that's the end of your worries. I would make sure though that it's a common enough system within your locality and that there are local agents who can service the system and supply any parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭gordon029

Thank you once again for your very helpful advice.The system that's the favourite at the moment is called an Ecoflo system which uses CoCo filters etc to do the work.It has all the appropriate certs and appears to be pretty simple which suits me but again happy to hear other options as there might be another which I might not have heard of

• Advertisement
Advertisement