Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reseeding 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭V6400

what fertilizer would lads put out on index 4 ground when ploughing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Hi lads,

Quick query for anyone that has done the red clover silage measure previously. Planning on putting it in at some stage next month once i get the existing crop of grass cut and baled. Looking around at seed mixes and 4 kg of red clover inclusion per bag seems to be the going rate for 12 kg bag to cover an acre. Have ye found this level ok to get a good establishment? Read a few bits that recommended a 50:50 split between clover and grass so going towards 6 kg of each per acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

I got a few bags under the scheme 2years ago. Used some overseeding bear old silage ground. It wasn't really a success.

I mixed some with permanent grazing grass seed on an acre as a full reseed, it came great, a bit less this year.

Is it worth doing is the question? a nice thick field of reseeded perennial ryegrass is hard to beat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

We have 40 odd acres of it. Sowed it at 15 kg to the acre. Wouldn't go mad on the clover as it'll die out.

Second year here now and clover is about 50% gone out of it.

Anywhere a trailer, baler or tanker travels the clover will die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

So it doesn't seem like a great crop to have then except for the grant for it. Would you do it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭DJ98

Couple of questions regarding reseeding. Planning on spraying off a field this week, contractor recommended using roundup amd then a second spray such as mcpa or thistlex or something like that to target thistles as field is badly infested. What sprays would people recommend? After spraying off how long do you have to wait before spreading lime and then after spreading the lime is there a wait time for spreading dung?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Mono PRG requires a fair bit of reseeding too and then there is the constant chemical inputs. Using Red Clover silage on my place for the past few years and its rocket fuel for stock, and I certainly wouldn't have the best soil in the world eitheir

Just fire the lot in together and spray the once.

12 days after spray for lime

• Advertisement

What second spray would you recommend to target the thistles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

It would be grand in a low input system. But the usual mix with white clover could last over 10 years and in some cases 20 years with a bit of care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Roundup will kill thistles on its own. Does the second spray enhance it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭morphy87

I have a field that I’m planning on ploughing, this field is shut off for silage,would it be a good job to spray this field before I cut it? I have never tryed this method before and know nothing about it, how soon after spraying do you have to cut it and does it affect silage quality? I know it’s a risk if you spray it and the weather breaks but it’s probably a quicker way of getting the field back into use

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

it’s absolutely fine. Spray it about 6 days before cutting. Obviously you take the risk of the weather but there’s no impact on the silage from the spray.

• Advertisement

so if you were to do this method how much quicker is it compared to your normal method? I presume it’s that you are waiting 3 weeks for after grass anyway

you can literally start tilling the day you bale the silage. Otherwise you’re waiting circa 3 weeks for after grass before spraying and then 7-10 days after spraying so roughly a month longer.

have you used this method? Just if I cut this field I probably won’t have stock off in it till the end of June so realistically it will be the first week of August before I get to sow it which would be late enough, I probably wouldn’t be grazing it till the mid September

How long after spraying it have you to wait to cut it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

we’ve a few acres sowed of it 3 weeks now and hope to sow more after 2nd cut of silage in late July. I talked to a good few ppl on it and most said there wasn’t enough grass in the dept recommended mix - if/when the red clover dies out you’re left with a very open sward. I got extra grass seed on its own separate to the dept mix and sowed it heavier. Ended up with 12 kg grass, 4 kg red and 1kg white. It’s sown 3 weeks now and looks to be a good amount of grass in it

If the red clover only lasts a short while I’ll still have gotten a nice payment /ac to reseed which is great I think

cut 6 days after spraying. That’s where the risk part comes in, you’ll have to cut regardless of the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lstmd

Hi all, Does anyone know if you can get a Tams grant for a tine harrow? They look a good job. Was going to use a disc and power harrow to prepare for reseeding and maybe sow with a tube harrow.

Just a quick question I was watching a YouTube video of a guy in the north picking his grass seeds varieties he was saying that he never uses late heading due to quality reasons and he mainly used earlier and some intermediate's. I was surprised to hear that as I assumed the heading dates didn't have anything to do with overall quality my understanding is a silage point of few in cork say you can use the early grasses due to silage being normally cut earlier whereas in the midlands I tend to use lates due to getting out later with fertilizer meaning cutting is usually end of may.

Also I was surprised that he added a KG of timothy to his mix for ground cover but I always made sure there none in my mixes as I consider it a weed😅 am I being to hard or timothy as I thought the feed value of it was very poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

You can get it in organics TAMS anyway, not sure about the other one, easy to look up the list of investments from the dept page anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

+1 good question. The guy is Andrew Wright (Farm Theory). He made some interesting points about premade mixes using some poorer seeds to bulk it out. The guy is no dozer, he does have some strong opinions - which is good to watch.

I'd like to know if the quality of a late heading grass is equivalent to an early heading grass when both are at 1 week before their respective heading dates.

Yeah he did I went with dlf 4N this year as its suppose to be 4 premium grasses but yet to get it into the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Gman1987

What are guys using for post emergance spray for grass/clover mix?

Going sowing grass seed in the next week. What mix would people recommend for sheep grazing? Looking for something with a nice bit of clover in it. How much fertiliser would you want to be applying and which compound mix is best to use?

Your better chatting to your seed supplier over mixes.

Check out the grass seed man on fb he's always posting mixes suitable for sheep grazing

have some reseeding to do I was planning on doing it earlier but with the poor growth it wasn’t possible, if I sprayed off in 10 days time and sowed the first week of August when should I be aiming to graze it? Also it will be ploughed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

Is Top 5 Extend still the best all rounder grass seed available ?

Would be used for 1 cut silage and sheep grazing rest of the year. Tia

Not really great as it heads out very quickly and can turn to timber overnight. That's the issue with abergain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

aberspey, aberclyde and galgorm is what we’ve used this year

But make no mistake about it, they are really strong growers and they will go wrong very quick if you haven’t the grazing power to keep up with them mid season

I like them because we’re stocked heavy and they really do perform and cows love them at the correct cover

What's the minimum amount of weeks it would take to grow a reseed to get a cut of silage would 8 weeks be a bit to short only looking for a light cut I know it would be better grazed but just caught abut short for fodder and grass.

AAll depends on the growth. Reseeds are slow the last month. Last bit of rain helped no end tho

would try to avoid letting a newly reseeded bit straight to a meadow. Better job to give it a light grazing when it’s ready. It helps tilering/thickening of the sward

Yeah in an ideal world but I usually find myself cutting the good stuff when it's fresh is hard to resist. But this year I think I have missed the both and will have to buy some lambs for the first time ever so should be fun 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

8 weeks would be ballpark number, and it would be a light cut at that, 8 weeks time will be taking you to the end of September there might be better value in grazing the regrowth provided the weather is reasonable.

• Advertisement

yeah I won’t get it done now will just have to get some store lambs for it wil do a great job on it in fairness.

I done reseeding last year but I couldn’t get out with the post emergency spray, I had no weeds only chick weed, I cut some of the field and grazed the rest, there are small patches here and there would this be because of the chick weed and if so have you any recommendations?

There was an error displaying this embed.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Would cutting with disc mower down to 4cm at around 8-10 weeks after seeding be equivalent to grazing it to help with tillering?

it’s still better to graze it if you can. At 8-10 weeks it’ll still be a very light crop and probably not worth cutting for silage.

In saying that, my last two re seeds got too wet to graze so went straight to silage and they’re still decent enough so it won’t break you either way.

have you noticed any difference in performance in the ones that were grazed compared to cut? How did you manage the chick weed?

these are the patches that I was on about earlier where I think the chick weed was, this was the piece that was cut

the ones that were grazed are definitely better. But my latest one was done last September and we all know what the weather was like over the winter and spring so zero chance to graze even with sheep.

Still got a good crop of silage off it but you do notice it not being as think when the silage is cut and gone.

Only good thing about the autumn reseeding is weeds are not as pertinent and I had no problem with chick weed. Didn’t spray it for anything and it’s fine.

• Advertisement

I got a great cut of silage off mine, is there anything that I could do to improve it now? Are you hoping to do more this year? In your opinion what time ideally is the best to do a reseeding job in the Autumn to achieve best results? I have more to do

have a field reseeded last year that has a very fine sprat rush growing in it. All single strands of rush as opposed to punkins. Field is a few weeks away from second cut but just wondering has anyone experienced this before? Field is only bought a few years and never seen any fertilizer so I think it’s more to do with hunger. I can spray it’s no problem but worried the mcpa will kill the clover. Licker is no good either as they will never be tall enough for it. As it will be cut twice every year and cattle will eat it when grazing. Ideally spray it if there was a clover safe version next spring?

I’d always prefer a spring reseed but there’s a few variables in that. My lad is typically wet so getting to graze an autumn reseed is very hard for me. I don’t have sheep either so it’s cattle or nothing. Growth is better in spring and less of a chance of frost springing a surprise. But drought can be an issue in a spring job either.

Other factors to consider are if your ploughing then the sod will be a lot more tender so again won’t suit my land to have any chance of grazing off in autumn. However, I favour disk and power harrow of late with good results which will leave a firmer bed.

But definitely easier to manage weeds in an autumn job. And land would be out of action at a time of year that demand is lowest.

So basically, pros and cons of each but both work well depending on circumstances.

As regards anything that could be done to help thicken up - you could always stitch in a bit of grass seed. But if you’re happy with your crop of silage this year, I’d probably leave it alone.

would you ever consider something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asJqcX5x52s

Forage rye you just sow in the autumn then cut it in may then do your grass reseed.

Have similar situation as yourself prefer a spring reseed but have a field sprayed off waiting for the plough man probably be pushed back now with this weekend's rain but I will have to buy some store lambs as will ne to some for cattle. Never owned a sheep in my live so should be interesting 😅 maybe even put a kg of rape in with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

anybody get somebody in with a stone picker? Any use?

• Advertisement
Advertisement