Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Strava have some sections that they seem to think you can't cycle through - sometimes it's quite a big road, they used to think you couldn't cycle from Rathnew to Newcastle without going via Ashford. I've hit this issue creating routes before, that's probably why the WW organisers have marked it as a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Was offered a ticket for this yesterday. What's the weather looking like, from those used to cycling in Wicklow hills. I'm rarely up that way

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Guys / girls

I'm doing the 100 for first time - any tips for bike equipment - I have basics - but should I get a new pouch for food etc ?

Any bike bag recommended / bars / food ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

For 100k?

Just enjoy the food stop, nothing additional is needed.

• Advertisement

sorry 1 last question - can you listen to music on these things ?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shamrocka330

Check the rules, many of these events don’t allow it as you won’t be able to hear instructions from the marshals or cyclists around you. Many cyclists do listen to music though.

Regarding your question about food - don’t change things at this stage, just stick to what you have been using during your training. You may be tempted to stock up on energy bars and gels but if you haven’t used them before they may not agree with you - finding this out going up Sally Gap tomorrow won’t be a nice experience.

Pace yourself tomorrow, the first half is quite hilly and will sap your energy so be prepared for this. The second half is relatively easier, IF you have eaten and hydrated well, and didn’t burn yourself out in the first half!

Good luck and enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

For those on the 100k Route. I'll be stationed at the top of Glenmacnass waterfall up to 11am. I'll have a trackpump,some chain lube and a multitool with me…watch out for the flashing Orange beacon!

Note: this is a STEEP descent (which is why Marshals will be there to advise you to "Proceed with Caution")

Enjoy the day and stay safe!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/CDh8yRmUAfiWxUfz8

Don't listen to music..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Why would you register for what is essentially a large social event and then want to listen to music? Can't get my head around that.

• Advertisement

Edit

You should have looked for a posting on the 200k route so you could meet your clubmates! 😀 (Don't think any of us are doing the 100k).

I know! i've been on the 200k route every other year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

There are plenty of spaces, but there will be a backlog trying to get in. 45mins from the N11 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

This has to be the lowest turnout on a cycling event i have been in last 2-3 years..even Beara was crowded than this in lashing rain..Why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭dahat

First time Wicklow 100,

So for last 3 months have had an injury - so my build up to this was far far from ideal . Came close to not going a few times - but a friend of mine encouraged me. As I got closer I started looking up the profile of race much closer - my reference being Howth head - Jaysus it is a completely different ball game. Wicklow mountains are a good trip for me - but I would never ever do anything like it again without doing actual course training.

The whole car parking is very well organized and in general full event is very professional - could do with more loos - but what can they do when so many people need them at start line.

The first 30 KM - is ridiculously tough , maybe more experienced cyclists can talk about the pros and cons - but it is very very steep - unfortunately had to get off the bike twice - but I can't really stand on the bike yet with injury. And you need to

Would think a thing that caught out a good few people was the weather - it has been an odd year in Ireland , but it was truly unseasonably cold. I'm so delighted I went for leggings as I went out the door - didn't get gloves - and think I would have liked them.

Besides the difficulties I has in the first 30 - the route after that on the 100 , is unreal , stunning and a pure joy - as it was rolling hills i was able to manage the hills way better and got a 2nd wind after food - even if the wind was a bit harsh in that open plain section.

I haven't done an event like this in a good 15 years - but a few interesting observations (from my perspective) - there was a bit of banter , a few characters - perhaps it is just that the task is so tough. But in the years that have passed , there seem a bit less comradeship amongst competitors - I recall in triathlons in the 2000s , much more support for each other and interaction - "come on lad" - maybe cycling is a bit different - particularly long distance. I don't know , maybe I'm wrong - people at limits very little time for a smile or banter.

I know you are dealing with a different beast with guys doing the 200 - and many of them were flying up hills - basically above my average for the race. But I have nothing but admiration for the 200 guys - pure madness in a way - and looking out, weather very mixed in 2nd half of the day - but maybe they are so fast they got in before me (lol)

I've decent enough handling skills - so enjoyed last 50 immensely and finished relatively strong.

The Stewards and Garda were immense , the cars (mostly) , the home owners on the roads.

I haven't done anything like this in a long long time - so don't know standards - but if you used the food stations - the quality was very good - so you did get value in the overall entry , but yes - like everything in Ireland , costs are daft.

In general the event is safe - but you can see how things go wrong - at the end of the day you are on open roads - and you need to stay concentrated for 5 hours - slight lapse and things can go very wrong quickly.

On Friday night , I practically couldn't walk - and was very close to pulling out. So to finish at all - without being able to stand in bike is a reasonable achievement for me. My friend from college guided me all the way - to his own detriment - but I know him over 25 years. What a bloke and friend.

When I got home from a nightmare M50 - it was hard to walk - a shower and a bath run by my wife. A cup of tea from my own house was a joy.

I wouldn't ever go to that event again - without being 15 KG lighter and without on course practice - particularly that torture of the first 30 K.

I'll have a few reds tonight and reflect on it all - Wicklow , what a place - but that tiny bit too far for a cycle. I might do it again - I'll go off and dream it all up again. But not that bloody 200 , headcases all of you.

Fix.

PS (Thanks for all the help on here over the years - particularly Lapierre lad) - he is the sort of lad I associate with endurance events in the past , a genuine passion for his sport - but even more for anyone else he comes across that wants to join in.

Time 5hr 40 mins - not great , but a few issues.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There were some road closures in the area due to a rally, which may have accounted for the late change in route.

I was stationed about 2/3rds around the 200 (135km or so). The first rider was through at 10:54, and a number had clearly started early. By the time I clocked off at 1pm around a thousand riders had gone through, with another 3 hour slot for the guy who replaced me. I actually thought the numbers were more than in prior years, albeit spread out with a couple of major climbs still to come

there were not many in 100km..i reg last week and my reg num was just 273..u can see size of food stop at 50km reflecting small number.

And there were just not many on the road ! May be 200km was higher

• Advertisement

well done.. Devils elbow is a silent killer and agree the route was more challenging this time upfront..last time DE was removed(18% and 20% climbs are not fun) last moment

I did Beara two weeks back in miserable conditions and was mentally exhausted to ride between then and today😜

Well done on completing your first WW100! To complete any event like this while fit and healthy is a challenge..to finish it while carrying an injury AND in very un-June like weather is very impressive! Enjoy the few beers..well earned!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ordinarily you'd have a point but I was marshalling the 100 route and it looked like a lonely, unsociable solo spin for 70% of the participants. A very small total number of riders, scattered very thinly over a long course. If you're happy to ride around Wicklow on your own then I don't know what the attraction for the W200 is at all, when you could do the same spin any day of the week. Is it called the W200 because only 200 people do it? 😁.

Maybe most people do the 200 and that's where the crowds were?

Yes, the vast majority seem to do the 200 as, to me, the numbers looked similar to any other year.

Definitely the coldest WW200 I've done. I was debating whether to bring gloves or not but I glad I did as I was very cold heading to the Sally Gap. Lots of lads out there today in short sleeves and no rain jackets! Don't know how they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

After all my preparations didn't make it. Got a dose last Wednesday that just got worse. A nice cough has settled in now. Thinkihg of trying the reservoir cogs spin in September. How does it compare, or Can you compare? (souunds like a new thread)

we were out for a spin that overlapped the 100 route in a few places and there seemed to be good numbers. There were loads of them going past the reservoir at Roundwood when we were going in the opposite direction. We stopped for a coffee at the Hippy Café and there were good numbers coming down from Glenmacnass too (though a few of them seemed to get confused as to where to go next despite the giant arrows pointing the way).

The Resevoir Cog (full route) is easier but a tough sportive in its own right.

It's only 125km but still has 2200m of climbing so about the same "toughness" as WW200 but shorter. Nice route though, mostly quiet roads, well organised with good food at the food stop and at the end. There are threads on the previous editions - here's last year, everyone who does it seems to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazycyclist

Was that Knockananna? If so, I was your replacement! Sorry for being late, the rally caught me out - I was using google maps to avoid the cyclists and it led me straight into the rally route. Had to re-trace, which meant I went from being there half an hour early to five minutes late. Great to have the Guard on the junction - for such a small place, it is busy enough. Got very cold and the rain started, so a tough last 65k for anyone left at that stage. Broom wagon came through at around 1415.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The rally and associated road closures were published back in March. Shouldn't the route have been altered before the last minute?

Advertisement