Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek›Discovery 5x05 'Mirrors' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 25-04-2024 7:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Star Trek›Discovery 5x05 'Mirrors' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You know what. That episode actually was not that bad.

The crew actually get to work together in this episode and Micheal has to be rescued.

Surely sending a probe into the wormhole before the shuttle would have made sense but no they just decide awe sure we will just go in blind into it in the shuttle. That's my biggest gripe about this episode.

I think it's either a love it or hate it episode do.

Some will not be happy with the Breen reveal do. A bit strange that one. Can not say I get it. Are they shapeshifters or why the two faces? I must say I was disappointed to find out the Lax is a Breen but then when it showed there other face in the suit that was OK but I still do not get it.

The best part do to this episode was the backstory to Lol and her meeting him. That was good. Also I think she is quite a good actor.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭eadrom

Thought that was pretty boring :-/

Don't care much about Mol and L'ak or their star crossed lovers schtick. The Breen "reveal" just didn't land for me at all; I've no idea why we're supposed to care.

Similarly with the ISS Enterprise. Ohhh wowww it's the other bridge set the production has access to. 🤷‍♂️. Now there's a classic 1701 in the 32nd century too. 🤷‍♂️.

And the Dread Pirate Booker has a quasi-family relationship with the brand new antagonist. Gosh, isn't that always the way; bumping into folks you know every week while traipsing around the impossibly large, and yet seemingly rather small actually, entire galaxy.

Good thing they got the next piece of the map anyway. I guess. 🤷‍♂️.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It felt mediocre. A bit plodding, particularly all the bits of everyone moping about past unhappy times.

Nice to see some small continuation of the TOS and Discovery mirror threads though. I had known this would be a mirror universe episode, and I had hoped we'd see the SNW cast chewing the scenery as villains, but sadly it's just a set re-use instead.

I'm fairly divided on the new Breen lore. I had always liked the mystery about their appearance, so showing them under their suits spoils that, and somewhat contradicts their need for cold. But it does seem to add a layer in that it's some kind of personal controlled body mod style thing pushed at a cultural level, even if it remains vague as the full meaning of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Breen never needed the suits to stay cold. Weyoun said their home planet is warm.

Personally I would rather their faces stay a mystery just cause I like stuff like that in TV. In universe I always just assumed it's a burka type situation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hmm, seems my belief also reflects some internal confusion within the universe itself. They were believed to be refrigeration suits earlier on in DS9, but Weyoun contradicted this later saying their home is indeed mild. So I guess Discovery is consistent in this then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭corkie

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Mirrors_%28episode%29

Thought that episode was a chore to get through.

Who really cares about Moll and Lak backgrounds?

I actually tried to watch this episode just to see the MU stuff but essentially the ship was just a giant memberberry and it could have been absolutely any ship in any nebula and the story would not change.

And why the fuk did the ship conveniently have a new plaque with the "ships story"

Anyway I gave up when the crew queued up to tell Reyner to "believe in himself". He is a veteran Starfleet captain FFS and the amount of pointless Moll stuff on that Breen station.

Lesson learned. Go back to not watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Evade

I didn't watch the episode but all the mystique around the Breen is just gutted, they look so generic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,475 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Another only Michael can save everyone and Rayner acting like he's never been in charge before and she knows best.

By God she will have him crying in to her bosom and letting out all that pent up male emotion and aggression and idolising her before the season is finished, finishing with a group hug

Ms

I disagree with that. She did not save everyone in this episode and she needed help from the Doscovery or they were doomed.

I also disagree about what you say about Raynor. I thought he done a good job here.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Maybe that is why they hide because they look so Generic lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

What is the point of the two faces? Would have preferred if they had left the Breen as these weird mysterious aliens who spoke a unintelligible language. Honestly don’t see any point to having used the Breen in this story or to have given them such a bland background. It’s also a pity they decided to remind us that Burnham is Spocks sister.

Why do Owo and Detmar deserve to fly the Enterprise so vehemently? Have they been in any episodes yet? I know its casting stuff, but they way they were so emphatic about them deserving to fly the ship felt weird. I also really do not care for the whole story of the ISS Enterprise. The bits they gave us were kinda crap and uninteresting, especially since we have seen in TOS, DS9, and ENT how the Terran empire developed, it’s story, and how brutal all rebellions and changes are. Just felt completely stupid to me.

Is it just me, but did that wormhole look like a cats arsehole?!

This season isn't annoying me as much as previous seasons. I'm not particularly engaged with it but have it on in the background. I think that's possibly because I know it's the last season so I'm kind of just tipping along to see how it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There was an interesting theory in the books I think it was that the Breens weren't just one species, but 4, of which of which was 'snouted' like a bear from an Alaska \ Arctic environment. The species were 'inducted' into a Breen confederation.

The suits etc were a way of creating a single Breen identity.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It's much easier to assume that was just a breathing apparatus. Don't know why people are so hung up on Breen having snouts.

The Breen were used because everything in Discovery has to be some cheap call back. The whole show now seems to be a "oh look it's that obscure thing". I'm very certain they just rake through Trek forums and shoehorn in whatever fans have been missing about over the years.

It's like the shows primary goal is to fill in gaps in Memory Alpha or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Evade

Was this pre or post Xindi introduction? It's not a bad idea but the confederacy thing kind of goes against wanting a singular identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was the story of that Enterprise shown in one of the earlier shows or could it be something that could come up in SNW? The way she kept saying it would be an interesting story seemed like she should be then looking at the camera and saying "See the full story on the new season of Strange New Worlds exclusively here on Paramount+"

So looking at what they have so far, they still have maybe 2 pieces to find?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Doubt it will come up on SNW as that's before TOS. She's probably referring to the TOS episode "Mirror Mirror" where the crew of the prime universe Enterprise travelled over to the Mirror universe and introduced Mirror Spock to Federation values and convinced him to assume a high rank and introduce reforms. Reforms that were shown later in DS9 to cause the Terran Empire to collapse and be enslaved by the other Alpha/Beta quadrant races.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

If they just made the Breen cousins or related to the Founders (some sort of shapeshifter creature) that would make much more sense.

All Eyes On Rafah

It's just pointless having the two face thing. It was essentially to have this "show me your true self" moment but between two characters no one cares about.

They show us the Breen face because it will give the forums an OMG moment for the same reason they won't tell us what happened the Enterprise-E. Because some obscure section of fan boys will fawn over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Book knew way too much about Mirror universe empire then he should have. Also, didn't Michael eat mirror "action" Saru?

No, they spared him and ate his friend instead.

No reason why Book shouldn't have known about it. It was common knowledge after Kirk's visit. The whole classified thing was just Discovery fanwank to explain why Kirk hadn't heard of it despite Discovery having been there ten years prior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I really couldn't get any sense of how Moll and L'ak went so quickly from some sarky comments to suddenly they're cloaked kissing.

Awful character development, but sure it's endemic in this show.

Is it just me or is Burnham doing missions with the various main-ish crew as some kind of last hurrah:

• Ep 2 - Burnham and Saru
    • Ep 3 - Burnham, Book and Culber
    • Ep 4 - Burnham, Rayner and Stamets
    • Ep 5 - Burnham and Book

Next week will probably be Detmer and Owosokun who run into trouble with the return of the ISS Ent.

Then we'll probably have Tilly.

Next perhaps a Disco lower decks (Rhys, fish-person, etc.) ep. before the 2 episode finale, where Burnham saves the whales or something.

They didn't know it was going to end so I think Burnham+1 is just their way to try use the crew but still have it Burnham centric.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I would be absolutely amazed if they had an episode that was just "The amazing adventures of Detmer & Owosokun" bringing the Enterprise back to StarFleet, yet this would be standard approach for any other ST series.

For this one, it made zero sense that the captain would go on this mission to me. Even Book going is highly questionable.

They have totally emasculated "New Riker" by having everyone having to tell him what a brave big boy he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

"New Riker"? Seems he's destined to always be the new someone since he was the "New (fake) Ray" in the excellent Due South back in the day.

I only remember him as New Cylon Model in BSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭corkie

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/star-trek-discovery-endangered-galaxy.html

The Star Trek: Discovery episode “Mirrors” casually confirms that tribbles are still around and still just as much of a menace when the courier Moll sarcastically asks a Breen if he wants to check her ship again to “make sure that I didn’t smuggle any tribbles onboard?” Her sarcasm aside, it actually makes perfect sense that galactic empires like the Breen would scan for tribbles at the same time they scan for more conventional threats like phasers. All it takes is a single tribble to overrun an entire ship or space station, meaning these creatures effectively endanger everyone in the galaxy.

So they are trying to Blame Odo for having tribbles in the 32nd century

the simple truth is that Star Trek: Discovery characters wouldn’t be dealing with tribbles in the 32nd century if Sisko hadn’t let Odo bring one of the creatures with him to the 24th century.

Advertisement