Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Career Break

Options
  • 25-04-2024 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi! I know it’s well past the deadline for Career break but my circumstances have changed. I work in an ETB is there any point in trying to go about this? Has anyone been in this situation before, appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭iniscealtra

I am taking a career break this year so i applied well before February 1st and recieved a letter saying that the school had agreed after it was put before a board of management meeting and that i could pull out of the career break until the end of April. It still isn’t certain as it depends on them being able to recruit someone to replace me. I will know in June if I it is allowed. I assume there is a procedure they have to follow that takes time, hence the February 1st deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Might be wrong, but I think it depends how compelling the circumstances and I suppose how flexible the board of management. Worth a try. You'd imagine there's plenty of time to look for a teacher to take over....they wouldn't be advertising in February anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jameesk

Can I jump on this thread! Might seem like a silly question, but can’t find any info. Is illness counted as exceptional circumstances for applying for a late career break. I’ve been off the last couple of months due to illness, which I now know will take time to get back to 100%. Would rather take a career break for the next school year then be off on sick leave. Anyone any insight, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

I'd say you'd have to ask before you know the answer to that question.....I imagine the availability of a teacher to take over could be a big factor.

Advertisement