Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anschutz 1710 Issue

Options
  • 25-04-2024 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all,

When cycling to next round in the magazine, pushing bolt forward it is taking alot of effort to get the round in the chamber and bolt into place to fire, some of the rounds are not going into chamber correctly and bolt is crushing them slightly.
    I need to slap the bolt handle forward 8/10 times.

Things I tried.
    Lubing the bolt a little.
    Cleaned the rifle with carbon remover etc until patches came out spotless.
    Tried various types of ammo and only one showed some improvement in cycling to next round but was still very stiff.

Anyone come across an issue like this with a bolt action 22 before?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Does the bolt move freely without rounds?
    What state are the feed lips of the mag and feed ramp of the gun?
    Do the rounds unload out of the magazine under finger pressure easily, or is there an excess of pressure needed for that too?

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭GaryKE.

Hi,

Does the bolt move freely without rounds? Yes no issues here.

What state are the feed lips of the mag and feed ramp of the gun? All mags are good and ramp looks good.

Do the rounds unload out of the magazine under finger pressure easily, or is there an excess of pressure needed for that too? Yes they come out under light pressure no extra effort needed to take them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭keith s

My 1710 was like this with CCI, the bolt was very hard to close.

But SK, RWS all worked fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Hmm, and if you try and hand feed a round into the chamber is it very tight then?

As Keith mentioned, might be something to do with the chamber tolerances vs ammo tolerance, so worth trying other brands?

Or is this a new problem which has surfaced with ammo which previously fed fine?

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭clivej

I may be at HH on Friday and you can try my magazines to see if it improves. If not then on Wednesday.

It sounds like the round is not getting picked up from the magazine correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭JP22

Gary.

All above plus check if extractor & ejector are properly in place.

By chance did u drop the bolt on ground or bang it off something, it's easy to bend/dislodge the extractor & ejector. Also he sure to clean out the two extractor & ejector slots either side of the chamber face. I'de also recommended cleaning out the chamber with a bronze brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭badaj0z

I had the same problem and it was the magazine causing it. Try different mags and if they work then that confirms it is your mag at fault Compare the shape of your mag with the one that works, With gentle sqeezing with a needle nose pliars, I was able to tweak the bad mag into working again. I my case it was not the lips but the shoulder in line with where the second to top bullet would lay.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Wadi14

As well as checking the magazines, have a look at the magazine housing, there are 2 screws holding it onto the barreled action, check if they are tight, there is a metal magazine guide retained by the rear screw it can be adjusted if you loosen the rear screw the angle that the magazine sits in the housing can be altered and if the magazine is loose in the housing by putting pressure forward on the guide that sits into the rear of the magazine you can tighten up, then tighten the rear screw back up again.

Sounds like your problem is magazine or magazine housing related, the angle the rounds feed into the chamber is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭clivej

Got it sorted this evening. A good cleaning with an old bronze brush and a squart of break n clutch cleaner, just in the chamber area. Looks to be sorted now. 👌

Fu*K But I've magic hands. 🤣

Can confirm Clive does indeed have magic hands.

• Advertisement

Lots of lads clean the barrels, well, most do but many forget about the chamber area.

With some sticky ammo lube, lots of crud can build up in/around the chamber.

Yeah won't forget about it again, will make sure to stay on top of cleaning it.

Gary, I'll send u a file (.pdf) later via PM on all aspects of Rimfire cleaning. Thought I posted it under target shooting but can't locate it now.

Its well worth reading.

Advertisement