Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux combo sat box for DVB-T and Sat IP transcoding

Options
  • 25-04-2024 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi All.. I realize this is prob a common questions, but I'm looking at maybe a Zgemma H7S but wondering if better options as of 2024. Requirement:

DVB-S/S2 and terrestrial.

Enigma or some supported open source OS with good driver support

Enough power to transcode to H.265 etc at least one channel white streaming to network

Run tvheadend etc, shell access. Headless operation.

Option for more than 1GB ram

TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭Shoog

A more robust solution is to get a SAT-IP server such as the telestar Digabit twin. Then get one of the new N100 mini servers to run your TVHeadend and transcoding, plug in a Xbox one usb TV tuner for terrestrial. There should be enough grunt in that to work as a Kodi box to drive your main TV. You can then hang of that arrangement as many Rasppi tvboxes as you fancy.

Going to cost you in excess of €300.00 but will be a lot more future proof.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Agree, but I am mainly interested in the best single-box option. Also, doesnt need wifi / remote / directly connected kodi/TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Transcoding to H265 is very processor heavy. I doubt the Zgemma would cope with that. Many PCs would even struggle unless you could use the GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Yeah. maybe H264. I was just wondering if anyone out there had tried transcoding on a ZGemma with tvheadend etc and if it could even manage it with lighter weight codecs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Why do you need to transcode anyway?

• Advertisement
Advertisement