Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge-Cutting

Options
  • 25-04-2024 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi,

According to Bird Watch Ireland, Under the Wildlife Acts, it is against the law to cut, burn or otherwise destroy vegetation including hedges between 1st March and 31st August, The ban on hedge-cutting applies to private gardens as much as it does to farms and the wider countryside.

If you witness hedge-cutting between these dates please report it to the local Gardaí and the National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS). You can find contact details for your local NPWS Wildlife Ranger here. This helps to encourage that the hedge-cutting ban is enforced and kept in place in the future.

The reason for the hedge-cutting ban is to stop disturbance and destruction of nesting sites of many of our wild bird species. The nesting season for most of our garden and countryside birds begins in March and will continue through the summer months. Our hedges provide a safe space for many birds to nest and an ample food supply for parents and chicks. They are also critical for a range of other invertebrates and mammals, including people

https://birdwatchireland.ie/faq/when-is-hedge-cutting-prohibited-in-ireland/

Just curious to know if anyone adheres to this ruling and if so have you or would you report it to your local Gardaí or local NPWS Wildlife on a neighbour!

😯

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I called (NPWS) to report hedge cutting locally and was told that hedge cutting around the environs of a house was allowed?

Did get the warden out though as he was on his way past the area anyway but that was just luck what he did I've no idea.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Hooked

I'll be cutting my hedges this weekend and the bank holiday weekend. And I think we've enough going on in our lives without ratting out our neighbours for keeping their property in order. And the Guards sure as shiiit have better things to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Birdwatch Ireland have a different interpretation to every other body.

Gardens are NOT included

There are a number of exemptions to the ban, including the summertime trimming of hedges "in the ordinary course of gardening" and the cutting of roadside hedges to prevent obstruction of drivers.

There are separate laws regarding the destruction of nests or disturbance of nesting birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is an exemption for roadside hedges in the interests of road safety.

For gardens a light trim with hedge cutter or hand shears is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

Sounds like a load of nonsense. I'll be trimming my hedges this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

I've trimmed my back hedge, hope to do side one over next 2 weekends. Neighbour farmer wasn't able to the contractor in before 1st March due to waterlogged fields ,so I've to tend to them myself this year. Farmer was only able to get road frontage hedges trimmed before 1st March.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Lidl are doing a lovely little hedge shears for a fiver, had one in my hand and then thought about the petrol, electric and battery ones I have as well as 3 pairs of hand shears that just need a sharpen so I put it back.

Great value though if anyone is on the lookout for one.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭893bet

I am trimming my garden hedge the weekend aswell OP.

You should buy a few acres and let them go wild; be better time spent than pontificating on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭User567363

I cut an entire hedge at the butt in september last year, still trying to get it to burn, i'd say neighbours are sick of looking at the pile of scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭User567363

Does any nature/bird watching club ever buy/rent land like suggested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

As mentioned it's mainly farmers and landowners that the hedge cutting is about. (Large scale and heavy cutting back) Wildlife do live in hawthorns and furze bushes by the bus load.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The law does not apply to Horticulture - so cutting of garden hedges is exempt.

OP where did you get this part from as it's wrong ?

"The ban on hedge-cutting applies to private gardens as much as it does to farms and the wider countryside."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Try googling the regs its hard to find anything different to what the OP states (and provides a link).

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

From the department

The prohibition outlined above does not apply (unless done by burning) in a number of circumstances set out in the Act. For businesses, landowners and the general public the most notable of these exemptions are:

The destruction, in the ordinary course of agriculture or forestry, of any vegetation growing on or in any hedge or ditch. In the Act, “agriculture” is defined as including horticulture. Since horticulture includes gardening, the summertime trimming of hedges in the ordinary course of gardening falls under this exemption;

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/f5cd9-reminder-on-hedge-cutting-and-the-law/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JVince

Birdwatch Ireland are totally incorrect.

They should withdraw that as nosey "do-gooders" will aggressively complain about people cutting hedges in their gardens.

There is no restriction whatsoever on cutting garden hedges in any manner you wish.

There is not even a restriction on destroying a garden hedge if you want to.

Birdwatch, IPCC and An Taisce all have a small number of properties that are managed in the interests of conservation and to protect wildlife.

Post edited by elperello on

Just a bit of a trim in the nesting season and put the chainsaw away until the leaves fall and all will be well.

Post edited by elperello on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not so much 'clubs' but several NGOs and other organisations own or operate nature reserves - a lot would be focused on woodlands, but as elperello mentioned, the IPCC run several reserves on bogs, and birdwatch obviously focus on bird habitat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am a big supporter of wildlife & birdwatch but sayings it's illegal is just wrong. I am involved in horticulture & I would always carefully check a hedge for nests before cutting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Samson1

This nonsense starts every year. There is no ban, and it is perfectly legal to cut domestic hedges around your private house.

It is clear these comments were not added to the existing thread from last year where the law on the matter was clearly thrashed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JVince

absolutely - I actually prefer the rough look so it will be late august/early sept before I do a trim. But I just despise these local nosey busy bodies who become "hedge police" and think they can bully people and threaten people. So the more people know that you can 100% cut a garden hedge at any time of the year and you are NOT in anyway whatsoever breaking any law, the better.

And those who like to be "hedge police" - go back into hibernation.

So to be clear.

You CAN 100% cut domestic hedges at ANY time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

Surely if the original poster also posted on last year's thread of the same topic then they'd know not to regurgitate a lie, and should face a forum ban for trolling?

Advertisement