Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have any experience dealing with Finance First Brokers?

• 25-04-2024 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just looking to see if anyone has had any dealings with the above brokers before we commit to letting them move our pensions.

Other than the fact they are members of Brokers Ireland & authorised by central bank.ie I can't find any reviews about them good or bad.

They contacted us by phone initially & then having sent them details of our current plan said we could be doing much better.

I'm always wary of cold callers but they appear to be legit & I'd just like to do a bit of due diligenge before diving in.

Cheers

Answers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cold calling is illegal I believe.

Be wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Myles45

Hi Henry,

I'm not sure that it was strictly cold calling or at least not illegal. I can't remember exactly what happened but I was called initially by someone separate from the finance company who asked if I wanted to be called back by someone at the finance company to discuss my pensions as far as I can recall. So the fact that I agreed to this call gets around the illegality I think??

It is still obviously a dubious practice though.

I really wanted to know if anyone had dealt with them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, were you contacted on your personal mobile phone or was it a call to your landline phone at work?

If it was at work, they may have been given your number by one of your colleagues who simply wanted to shake them off. It would be similar to how recruitment companies typically operate when cold calling, they'll doggedly hang on the line and you can't get rid of them until you give them another contact.

According to the Citizens Information website, cold calling on a mobile phone is illlegal….

Scroll down to 'rules on cold calling'….

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/phone-internet-tv-and-postal-services/stopping-junk-mail/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ACCEPT SUCH AN OFFER

• I have never heard of anyone of these agencies that could not find a better plan that your current plan
    • I have never heard of any that actually did
    • I have heard of plenty that lost a large slice of their wealth in the process
    • I have heard of plenty who paid substantial fees for the privilege

This selling is going on all over the EU, it is not illegal so it is not a scam, but it is very unlikely to be in your best interests.

If you want advice on your pension, then get it in the normal way from an independent advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Myles45

thanks for your replies.

original contact was via work/home landline & i agreed to receive further contact so nothing was illegal.

I have taken your advice and have made an appointment for a consultation with "ask Paul ". I have also asked my current broker to contact me back to discuss further. Having said that if my memory serves me correctly I think they too cold called us many years ago!! These people are all seemingly legit with being members of brokers.ie and central Bank. Surely that in itself means they have to abide be the rules??

• Advertisement
Advertisement