Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staying in Edinburgh

• 25-04-2024 8:47pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, thinking of a weekend in Edinburgh in May. I used to live there many many years ago as a student, so never really did the touristy things. I have been looking forward to going back for a long time! But not sure where to stay. Obviously city centre hotels will be expensive. Has anyone any recommendations? Not too far out, but where we could grab a bus etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Have you tried one of the premier inns. They're usually a little cheaper.

There is one located on Princes Street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There are a couple of budget hotels around Haymarket that are fine. You might also get some good deals in Leith

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

YEah had a look but they seemed a lot more expensive than I was expecting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I suppose start by plugging your dates into:

Premier Inn

Travelodge

Accor

Booking.com

• Registered Users Posts: 29 johnny1x

i stayed in Grassmarket Hotel when I did a weekend break - would recommend, slightly quirky and don't remember it being very expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

did a sample search there, looking for cheapest over a 3 night weekend in May. Overall Edinburgh is clearly expensive. Holiday Inn by the zoo is half way between airport and city centre, easy to get in by bus and you could visit the zoo next door. Edinburgh centre is very walkable, as you know, lots of places to see from the Castle, Royal Mile, Huntingdon Museum, Greyfriars, the New Town Georgian area, Art Galleries, the Royal Yacht at Leith, the Botanic Gardens, Dean Village, Cramond Village.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Thanks! A lot of places seem to be expensive, but not as bad as you go further out of city centre. Premier Inn in Leith seems ok, £457 for 3 nights (for 2 of us). It says its about 4 miles from Edinburgh castle, so that's not bad, and walkable! Flights have dropped in price again, but the flight leaving is 7.30am, so getting to Edinburgh very early, which would mean not being able to check in straight away, bit of a pain. I suppose the hotel can hold the bags if we go away for a few hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

We stayed in a place called Allison House. Bus stop right outside took us right into the city centre. Stayed twice now and would definitely book again. Think we had room 16 which was downstairs

https://www.shouthotels.com/allison-house-16-edinburgh/

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭fabvinny

We stayed in Cityroomz,at one end of Princess street. Bus stop and Tram stop right outside. It wasnt fancy,but it was very clean,comfortable and great location.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭slystallone

Does the airport have the c3 scanners?

• Advertisement
Advertisement