Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

android instant messaging

• 25-04-2024 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭romperstomper

I'm in ireland, my brother is in canada and neither of use 3rd party messaging like signal/whatsapp.

what are the google solutions around instant messaging? we are looking for something that you get pre-installed on android phones as he is not tech savy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,890 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't know of any Google based instant messaging, but why would you both not download WhatsApp?

It's very easy to do, even for non tech savvy people.

Edit : I just googled " Google alternative to WhatsApp" and I see there is something called Google Messages. I've been using Android for ever, and have never seen this app, so would assume you'd have to download that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭romperstomper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,890 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Never heard of Google Chat, it's not on my phone. So you'd have to download it anyway.

And if you are savvy enough to go to the Play Store and download something, I don't know why you wouldn't just download WhatsApp considering it's the most popular instant messaging app and other contacts on your phone probably use it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Use Whatsapp. Google's messaging systems are unintuitive and fragmented (Meet? Chat? Messages? Hangouts? Anybody remember Google Wave? Is Duo still a thing?). No-one uses them.

It takes far less tech ability to download Whatsapp and use it than it does to use Google's messaging systems

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• You could use RCS messaging but it’s no more straight forward that using an app.

If you don’t like Meta and WhatsApp consider Signal.

I wouldn’t see Google as having any great advantages. It’s a commercial data miner.

I can see why people make an argument in favour of iMessage on iPhones as Apple basically uses it as a tool to sell an expensive hardware ecosystem. They’ve no motive to sell your data, but there’s no equivalent default instant messager from Google. You’d be better off to use a secure third party messenger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement