Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Route Sharing for a Club

Options
  • 26-04-2024 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all,

We are a cycling club with about 80 members of whom 30 or so are regularly active. We recently moved from FaceBook to a Whatsapp community chat for organising rides and social events which has made everyone's life much easier. I've been wondering does anyone have a suggestion for a shared database of .gpx route files that we could make available to all members. I have quite a library myself and am happy to share them but want to do so in a secure manner. Ideally, we'd be able to segregate these route files by type (grave, road, one-way, round trip etc). I understand that Google Drive might be a solution but I'd be concerned that any other files I had there might mistakenly be made available for general access but I am open to persuasion. We do have a website but it is pretty basic and I am not too sure how easy it would be to host 100+ routes on an open access website.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

You could set up a shared drive in Google drive. People who have access to this drive only have access to this drive, nothing else belonging to you.

You can allow everyone who has access to be editors and add files.

You could have separate folders in the drive to differentiate between ride types.

I do this all the time in school when I need students to have a space where they can submit work to me. Works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What about creating a page on something like Komoot and sharing the gpx files from there?

With 80+ routes, I really think you would need a way to map them out to be useful for the majority of people

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Londonirish72

Cheers all. I'll go down the shared G-Drive route first.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are the routes starting & finishing at somebody's house or somewhere public. Assuming it is the latter, what is the need for the gpx files to be stored in a secure location?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Setup a Club on Strava.. once all club members are in it, you can post links to routes, make announcement etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

Do you need to have a strava subscription to be able to use those functions?

Post edited by cletus on

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Londonirish72

I guess I used the term secure without thinking to much about it. The routes would start in a public location but I have collected almost 100 already so I was thinking along the lines of a route library that all club members could both access and add to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I've used RideWithGPS for multiple routes over 10 years. I've found it one of the easiest to use without a subscription. You can create routes and download them easily in a format of your choice. It has better mapping than Strava.

Advertisement