Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donabate - Affordable housing scheme

Options
  • 26-04-2024 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I'm considering buying a new built in Balmoston - Donabate and was pretty set on it. Talking to relatives and friends, they said it may not be a great idea as around 90 houses will be occupied by people on the affordable housing scheme.

Their concerns are around:

• People wont care about their homes as they don't fully own it
    • There may be a lot of renters / safety may be an issue
    • House losing value

By buying a property in a new development, I am really hoping to build a community with my neighbours as I've got a small kid.

Now I see affordable housing as different from the 'social housing' but hey, not to say social housing are bad either. I guess they are good and bad people everywhere.. Issue with the new built is that we wont get to meet our neighbours before moving, so it's a lottery..

And yes I'm also worried about the lack of amenities around there given the sizes of the upcoming developments but it's the same everywhere from what I've seen so far.

I'm really confused and I'm now very unsure on what to do so looking for general advice… to buy or not to buy…

Thanks!

Post edited by Systemic46 on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Hi, OP I am one of those people who applied for the affordable housing scheme's in Balmonston. It is very different from social housing and they have increased the salary cap from around €70k to around €102k (from what I remember) which allowed myself and my partner to apply.

The prices that people will be paying who get accepted for the scheme would likely be around the 400k mark. I don't think that people who are paying 400k will not care about their homes no matter what % is shared equity.

There are quite strict requirements about who can apply for the affordable home scheme, they won't be sold to Buy to Let individuals.

On the house losing value point this is completely up in the air as Donabate itself is still in it's initial development phase as a suburban area, it'll be interesting to see how it develops over the next 5-10 years. It definitely requires more amenities and public transport links for the scale of building proposed in the area.

Hope some of this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Speaking as someone who had to commute from Donabate for nearly a year, just check the traffic in the mornings at the time you would be commuting. If you can get the train fine, but if you are working anywhere that requires bus or car the traffic coming out of Donabate in the morning will break you.

If you can use the train, will you always be working in the same place where you can get the train to? Just test it out before committing to buy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Systemic46

Thanks so much that's so helpful Gary_Dunne, didn't know there were so many requisites! Definitely makes me lean towards going for it then.. I wonder that even though there's a high number of affordable houses, if there will also be social housing on top?

SharMX, I work remote but my partner will have to commute to town 3x a week near Baggot st so that's definitely something we need to consider. He's seen the 33D that goes St Stephens but there's only one going at 7.30am.. do you know if it's a reliable service? Otherwise a train to Grand canal but it seems there's not so many either..

With all these developments, our only hope is that transport will get better at some point…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Go with the train. The bus back can take a long time. Awkward times too. Definitely test out the commute before you buy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jc2023

Hi, Just wondering if you've heard back on your application for this scheme or if anyone has any experience with the affordable housing scheme from fingal coco and how long it took them to get a response on their application?

Thanks 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Gary_dunne

I haven't heard anything back from the application process and can imagine it's very unlikely that I do. They usually are reviewed on a 1st come 1st serve basis and we didn't get our application in til the day after it went live and were over #200 from what I can remember.

Advertisement