Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring Japanese import car in Ireland

Options
  • 26-04-2024 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. Wife seen a nice car at dealers. It's a Nissan... But it's a Japanese import (it's got Irish registration plates on it) .

Phoned her usual motor insurance place this morning and they said there could be problem insuring it because it's an imported car. Is this what she is up against do you reckon because it's imported, impossible to insure or expensive to insure it's gonna be?

The insurance company said they are going to check it out and get back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,791 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Expensive, not impossible. Existing insurer may say no, but most will insure them.

Parts that are not stocked by the Irish distributors can make certain Japanese imports more expensive to repair; and much longer time periods too - expensive for an insurer providing a hire car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

All cars are imported to Ireland Insurance company's are just kunts!

I'm sorry I can't offer you advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

so far , Liberty Insurance through Chill.ie is looking favourable at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Raichų

depending on the car JPN imports can be a bit laxer on security than other cars around. Car theft is almost non existent in Japan so immobilisers don’t always come as standard and make the car a piece of piss to rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

seems to have good security - got engine immobilizer and alarm and nissan intelligent key fob - and it is a Nissan make (true Nissan) and not some random yokomoto jap import make car which I could understand an issue about security why they would not want to insure it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,580 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The problem is that until such time as a law is passed here that all vehicles imported must have an immobiliser confirmed as being fitted at the first NCT these cars will continue to be all a prime target for theft. It doesn't matter if you fit a €10k alarm system with top of the range ghost immobiliser the car will still be the first one someone attempts to rob as they will assume it has no immobiliser. It's purely being attacked based on the assumption of simplicity of theft and so ownership will be painful either by constant attempted thefts or successful ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

I had no problem getting insurance on a jap import VW touran with Zurich only recently, once it has an immobilizer you should have no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Raichų

they never said they wouldn’t insure it though. I am explaining why Japanese imports are often more expensive to insure as they are simply much easier (in general) to steal.

It’s not about brand either. Toyota, Nissan etc are often sans immobilisers because car thefts in Japan are almost non existent. Was a big problem a few years ago but seems to be less of one now as folks have realised before importing to make sure it’s fitted with proper security.

Advertisement