Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal Way on a long tail ebike?

Options
  • 26-04-2024 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of doing the Grand Canal way as my first long cycle on the new bike

Plan would be train from Dublin to Tullamore with bike. Then either cycle to the end of the canal at Shannon harbour and back before cycling back to Dublin

I think it's somewhere around 160km total that way, 40km each way to Shannon Harbour then ~80km to Dublin

Or if I'm feeling lazy I'll skip the loop and just do Tullamore to Dublin

Or if I hate myself I'll do the whole loop to and from Dublin 😂

I'm wondering what the surface is like, I know there's a few muddy patches but is it the majority of the path relatively decent?

I'll be on a long tail ebike with no suspension. Tyres are okay for trails but not all terrain. I know it'll probably struggle in the mud but if it's only a few patches then I should manage

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Grand Canal: The only mud on your route is in Dublin, between Hazelhatch and Adamstown. Route south around Peamount hospital, it adds less than 5k. Go to the Shannon, or you will hate yourself for ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Its not just that its muddy, its awkward and theres some tight sections. I wonder when it will be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

There's a page for a Greenway with a lot of "coming soon" a no dates

https://greenwaysireland.org/grand-canal-greenway/

I think the waterways Ireland page has some more info on what sections are done and still in planning

https://www.waterwaysireland.org/Pages/Development-of-the-Grand-Canal-Greenway.aspx

Again, no dates mentioned unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Cheers, yeah I've heard that section is pretty rough, but manageable. If the rest is decent then it sounds doable, my worry was there'd be multiple mud sections along the way

I'll probably do a few test runs out of Dublin to see what it's like and build up to the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Sallins to Edenderry is unimproved as well, doable unless it's very wet but rough going in spots. Edenderry to the Shannos is lovely (I've only done as far as Turran myself). If you're doing it anyday make sure to schedule a stop in ballycommon bake house, you won't be sorry, just check if it's open early in the weekdays

• Advertisement
Advertisement