Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible ESB Earth Rod, in Lawn.

Options
  • 26-04-2024 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

I just 'found' an earth rod in my back lawn, about 10m from the house. The green box covering the earth rod was only about 20mm above ground and I didn't known it was there 'til the lawnmower demolished it. It didn't do the lawnmower much good, either! 
    The rod is about 1m from the wall, and there are two green 'boxes' against the outside of the wall, about a meter apart. The bigger one is anbout 300mm * 300mm and is literally embedded in the wall. Has anyone any idea what these units are and if the earth rod is likely to be related to these, rather than a domestic earth? (My hunch is that one is for domestic supply distribution and the other for public lighting.)
    At the moment the earth rod is exposed and I'm concerned with the safety aspect. Ideally, I'd also like to get it moved about 2m to a corner of the garden where it wouldn't be an obstruction. Failing that, if it could be lowered a small bit, so that it would not obstruct the lawnmower. If I was certain it was a domestic earth, I'd be tempted to bury the earth rod further, fit a new box, and re terminate the cable. Then seal it using Denso tape and surround the green box with a plastic pipe and cover, to allow access. If it is an ESB Networks earth I would ask them to look at it.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Advertisement