Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Balmoston Donabate

• 26-04-2024 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hi there, myself and my partner are really interested in putting a deposit down on a house here however we are concerned if there will be a large amount of social housing in this phase. Does anyone know if there is a way to find out if the houses next to us will be social? I totally appreciate that any neighbours can be difficult however when we would be paying so much money we just want to make sure we make the right decision! I have asked the selling agent however they advised me to contact the developers. I’ve tried this but have not received a call back. I’m wondering would they even tell me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Systemic46

Hi J1SH, my partner and I reserved a house and have the same questions as you (haven't signed the contract just yet). I posted this morning on that thread below - it seems like it's affordable homes and not social housing. From what we investigated, the affordable homes are the Holly and the Maple. You can see them on the site map. Now i do not know if there'll be social housing on top and will be asking the developer/agent more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 J1SH

hi systemic46, thanks for the response! We decided to go ahead and put a booking deposit down. We are going to the Balmoston first time buyers event tomorrow so I am going to try and find out from the developers if they will indicate if/where the social housing is. I’ve heard from people that it tends to be in later phases but I don’t know if that will be the same for this one.

No problem at all! If all goes to plan, we may be neighbours! We're going to the event tomorrow too and we'll be asking the same questions. Let's see if we come out of it a little wiser ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It's generally the opposite, local authorities and approved housing bodies will have purchased at least 10% of the units for social housing and a further 10% for affordable housing before the first phase of a new development has even launched.

In 2023 32,695 new homes were built. 8,110 of them were purchased by local authorities and approved housing bodies. That doesn't include the over 4,000 new build homes also purchased for affordable housing.

As you can see from those figures, 10% is the minimum requirement for new developments, whereas in reality, far more are being bought by the council, department of housing etc.

So over 1/3 of new builds last year were bought by the government, competing against taxpayers, inflating prices and often outbidding them using funds that those very taxpayers have contributed to.

How did you find the event? We got talking to a few people from Glenveagh but none of them were giving away anything! There was a big crowd there so seems like the development has a lot of interest!

• Advertisement

the event was ok! We stayed for about an hour or so as we mainly wanted to ask some questions face to face. I find the agents pretty clueless tbh.. they never have all the answers which is kind of frustrating. As for the social housing, there’ll be mixed around the site. Tbh all new developments will have them so it’s not something that will ‘stop’ us from buying there.

It was busy but a nice mix of people so all in all positive day.

How did you find it?

Post edited by Systemic46 on

Same as, I thought it was a good morning but didn’t feel we learnt anything we didn’t already know. We’re still pretty confident that we’ll go ahead with it provided we’re happy with everything in the contracts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 1sttime1

I live locally and the affordable housing has been over subscribed. Heard rumours that their going to reduce the percentage of social to increase the affordable not sure how true it is. The houses and apartments are taking shape now, think theres the guts of some of the internal roads going down too. Hope you all will be happy in Donabate we've been here years and years and have the best neighbours. Hopefully the same happens for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Hey! I am looking at the 3 bed duplexes in Balmoston.

Does anyone know if they are sold out?

Do they have parking spaces? If so, how many?

Thanks!

Advertisement