Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer warning

• 27-04-2024 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I got a warning in soccer for deliberate disruption of the thread for saying the words "in here". There were multiple posts in the thread making a similar point and apparently I should have quoted and responded to each of them instead of referencing them in general. I think this is incredibly harsh.

My conversation with the mod involved DM7, who is normally very good, was quite dismissive and brought up other posts which were not mentioned in the original warning mail including posts that were conversions on thread with DM7 and not as mod and user but as 2 users.

There is probably more I can say but will leave it at that for the moment so it gets to the crux of the issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

@awec are you the relevant Cmod for sports? Thanks for any help. Was asked to bump the thread as have gotten no response

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi, and thanks for your PM.

The first step in the dispute resolution process is to try and resolve the issue with the moderator via PM. Can you please advise whether you have done this yet?

Thanks.

-Shield

Hi, I did, DM_7 suggested the dispute resolution process as they disagreed that the warning was not warranted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I’ve notified the CMods about this dispute so give them time to review what happened and they’ll reply here in due course.

Thanks.

-Shield

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,023 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

@Liam O only aware of this thread now, I will look into it for you.

As you've engaged with the Mod in question, kindly forward the full PM conversation surrounding the Warning - here or via PM.

Am travelling atm but I will try to speed up the process for you as you are several days into the process already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,023 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

@Liam O PM's received, thank you.

I will try to get a handle on the messages and the posts in question after the games tonight if possible.

@Liam O I've gone through the thread and have a better handle on why the post in question received a warning.

I agree with the Mod in question that it was worthy of a warning and as a result from previous warnings the ban will stand - sometimes a warning feels very harsh because of the length of the ban - but were is just a warning, it might not feel so harsh, the ban is of course as a result of the Soccer Charter and accumulated warnings.

There appears to be a bit of 'you and them' at times in the Man United thread. This can be seen from various reactionary posts on both sides. It is with this in mind that you received the 0 point warning on the 22nd - in particular this comment by the Mod….

"In this instance you are engaging with one poster and instead of sticking to points that you and that poster are making you are extending the debate about some wider points other may have made. Bringing up 'stockholm syndrome' is arguing with this poster in bad faith.

This is a 0 point warning and does not count as a forum yellow but if this type of posting continues then forum warnings will have to be applied."

It is with the above in mind that the 1 point warning was issued - your reference to "in here" makes a lot more sense when put into context of the above 0 point warning, the repetitive nature of the posting style that you were 0 pointed for.

There were other posters warned too - as I can see how you might feel Moderation is one sided, but it really isn't.

While it may not be the opinion you wanted, I hope you can see where I am coming from in not reversing the warning.

If you wish for an Admin to take a look too, please let me know.

I think I would have a problem with the 0 point warning in that it arose from a situation where someone made a general point in the thread and I asked for specifics. We then had a bit of a back and forth in relation to it but they didn't provide specifics.

Instead of providing these specifics, the poster got personal and said they didn't really mean what they said. I made the general point that the point had been repeated in the thread over and over (and I'd asked for specifics previously) but the poster had already accused me of arguing in bad faith before the one I'd been warned for. There could have been a thread warning but I get a warning.

Tbh, I thought that the 0 point warning would be used here to justify it but I think it's unfair too but I let it go at the time.

In the thread on the day of my 1 point warning there was a post that literally told me to "go outside and get a life" that was left up all day and a couple of minutes after I put up a post where the supposed issue were the words "in here" I'm warned immediately.

The issue is that apparently I'm trying to cause arguments. If I believe something and others believe something is there not going to be arguments one way or another? The issue I'd have with the "you vs them" thing is that others are getting personal and trying to provoke me and then I get the warnings for such minor things because I'm arguing against the tide. I mean 2 warnings in a week and the offending words were "on the thread" and "on here"

Overall I think that while DM_7 is an excellent mod they have taken exception to this element of my posting purely because it stems against the tide in the thread and it's undeserved.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement