Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe Load for Circuit

Options
  • 27-04-2024 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi

I live in an apartment with a typical 230volt supply. A couple years back I got a reci engineer to install an extra socket in my living area. Instead of taking it off a socket spur he took it off a seperate spur to an electrical heater (not a storage heater), he said it would be safe and less chasing of walls etc and has RCD protection on a 4 mm cable. He certified the work and I never though anymore of it. I was trying to get him to install the new ATC Fluid electric thermal radiator, but he must have been up the walls as he didnt reply to my mails for the work. A neighbouring apartment installed the ATC Fludi electric heaters in his apartment, by his brother who is a sparks but not registered. I assumed in my head (possiblt incorrectly Im still not sure )that as it was replacing existing heaters it didnt require certification (like with replacement).

My main concern is with the circuit that the extra socket was added by the Reci engineer a couple of years back. As I discovered myself, its on the same spur as two 750W ATC heaters (one in each bedroom), with a 20 amp Breaker at the Fuse Board, with RCD protection. Is there any fear that if the socket was overloaded (say an Iron or something drawing heavy power) , it might present a fire risk ?

Advertisement