Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to re-pot an umbrella house plant

Options
  • 27-04-2024 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

I've an umbrella house plant for many years and reckon that it needs re-planting. I want to re-pot in the same planter (which has no holes at the bottom) and replenish the soil to provide more nutrition. It's been around 10 years since last re-potted/ fed. Can anyone advise if I should drill holes at the base of container, add stones at base or re-pot in another planter; and what's the best potting mix for an umbrella plant.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

That is a beautiful Scefflera. I keep mine in a mix of Coconut coir/compost and a handful of perlite but you can put it in any well-draining soil mix as long as it doesn't contain peat. May I ask, is there any reason why you want to re-pot it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Logo

Thanks for the info clearz. I'm thinking of repotting because it hasn't been cared for within the past ten years, except for watering. I do remember cutting daffodil greens and using them as a base about ten years ago when it was repotted. Any advice would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

You can reuse the same pot but I'd definitely drill some holes in it. One thing they hate is too much water. Although, you seem to have the watering under control since it's been in this pot for 10 years. Any plant cuttings you put at the bottom will just break down into compost after a few months. Once you have a good loose soil mix you don't need anything but a hole at the bottom.

Advertisement