Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are creches like?

Options
  • 28-04-2024 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I'm about to send a 18 month old to a creche. Having doubts which I suppose is natural but I have very little experience of them, could you share some opinions? It's one of the big chains so I expect they're pretty standardized. Few things I have on my mind:

1. What do kids do all day? Is there TV , if so how much TV time is there?
    2. How many children are there per carer?
    3. What do they eat? And do creches even provide meals or am I supposed or have the option of leaving them breakfast/lunch packed?

Appreciate any answers and thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Every creche has its own policy so you would really be better off Googling that. Some provide food, some allow some screen time etc. Some will also have a daily schedule so you know what your little one is doing all day. The creche should really provide you with all this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Yeah, I'd contact the creche to ask them all of the above questions. One thing I do know from friends who have sent their children to creche is that the child will probably cry when you drop them off for the first few mornings. It's important to stay positive (even if you're sobbing inside), kiss them goodbye and leave confidently. It's so hard to leave them crying, especially when it's your first child, but they usually settle within two weeks. And I've seen that once they settle, they usually thrive in a creche environment. They love the routine of it all. My child didn't go to creche. I luckily could manage childcare around my work shifts but I've heard good things from friends who sent their children to creche. Best of luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

And don't promise them you're going to stay all day and then disappear when your kid isn't looking! Be honest.

Happened to me when I was a youngster and still stung for a long time after! 😪🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Kurooi

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Thank you for the responses, time to call the creche I suppose. Haven't exchanged a word with them since I put a deposit down ages ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

A lot completely depends on the creche in question and their own policies but my experience on the 3 questions are this (not a large chain but a small family owned set of 3 creches).

1. That age group there was a lot of play, reading books, learning through play & garden time. There was a very small amount of TV but I use the term loosely as it was usually an iPad up on a shelf at the end of the day playing some songs with videos on YouTube (age appropriate). The kids could barely see it to be honest but they were mainly dancing around to it. There was sometimes an age appropriate film on a Friday afternoon but again not all the time.
    2. So child to carer ratios are set by Tusla and must be strictly adhered to. This is checked as part of the inspections. It varies based on age: 1:3 for under 1 year old; 1:5 for between 1 & 2 years old; 1:6 for 2 year olds & 1:8 for 3 to 6 year olds (pre-school).
    3. So this is purely creche dependent. Ours was one where all food was provided and no outside food was allowed in so that they could control allergens etc. For that age, there was breakfast, snack, hot lunch, snack, mid-afternoon tea & evening snack. The lunches varied but usually followed a 2 week menu plan. Friday was treat food - burgers, chicken goujons etc but these were made in-house as well. Again if a facility provides food, this does get checked as part of inspections to ensure that they are following guidance for healthy eating in children. Other creches ask you to provide the snacks & they will do the main meals whereas some you have to provide everything.

Advertisement