Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diagnosing a tripping breaker

Options
  • 28-04-2024 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭

Came home last night to all the outlets off at home. There is a 63 amp breaker with test switch, that was tripped and would not reset.

I eventually narrowed it down to 1 room's outlets, that is, all the outlets are on a different breaker, I'll call it breaker 2. Once I turned breaker 2 off, I could reset the 63 amp breaker no prob.

I removed everything plugged into outlets on breaker 2, but it would not reset, as soon as I reset it, the main breaker would trip. I turned off all the switches that control outlets, but breaker 2 would not reset. So, nothing is plugged in, and the breaker won't reset as doing so causes the main breaker to trip.

Is this due to breaker 2 being defective? What can cause this - something happening at night? Weather was clear last night, I don't think we had a power surge or anything weird like that.

TIA. Yes, I'm calling electricians but they're hard to get ahold of and any investigation I can do makes everything easier.

Comments

Advertisement