Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not able to cut plasterboard out

Options
  • 28-04-2024 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

AS a continuation of my stud finding journey (more details:

I am trying to cut out a piece of the plasterboard to look inside and maybe put a small stud in my own to which I can attach the tv mount. I cut out a rectangle, but the piece refuse to come out.

I am attaching a couple of pixtures, one of the rectangle I cut and another view of the wall when i take out the socket there.

As mentioned before, I can't find any studs behind the wall, there is insulation behind it as seen from the socket pic. Any suggestions on how i can take it out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its stuck to the wall so you will need to break it out.

When its cut out I'd make up a frame the size of the hole and raw bolt that in place to the wall then pack it out so you can finish off with a piece of plywood leaving a sheet of plasterboard level in front of it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 anishtholath

TThE wall behind is pretty far out with insulation like sponge in between. Will it be stuck to that?

Ill need to get a new plastersheet? Can't reuse the same one when u say break it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Im seeing blocks behind the insulated slabs, Is it a dividing wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You don't need to put in a stud, you can get longer fixings that use the blockwork.

https://www.kingspan.com/gb/en/knowledge-articles/how-to-mount-a-tv-on-insulated-plasterboard/

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

We have already explained all of that in the previous thread.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There is no studs, the foam backed plasterboard ( https://www.chadwicks.ie/all-products/building/dry-lining/plasterboard-insulated.html ) will be attached by mushrooms or just stuck to the blocks.

You either need to get long bolts, trust in the plaster only products (depending on weight) or make your own stud by screwing a piece of wood directly to the wall and then attaching to that (when re-doing a room I'd often use psb or put wood in the places I know things will need to attach to before plastering). You also have a big cold bridge and it looks like you have to wire a plug in as well. I dare say you've bitten off more than you can chew as most people would figure out the construction and not keep looking for studs as you have been doing.

I would put in some wood to attach to where needed, recover and glue back the foam/plasterboard that you can and then re-plaster/sand/paint that spot.

edit: I see you haven't been able to the plaster off yet, I would leave as is/fix and go with bolts, or if you insist, cut out the sliver you need to put a piece of wood into but you'll need to hammer/chisel this piece out, you might get lucky and be able to leverage sections off intact as you work through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Well I hope you and the people you speak on behalf of will all accept this apology for wasting all your time that ye spent reading my response that ye already knew anyway from responding to the previous thread that I didn't see.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So its mystery solved as to why you.could find no studs. You have insulated plasterboard direct to blockwork.

I wouldn't bother removing anything.

Long fixings into block will hold alot of weight even with the insulation in between.

A large TV mount securely fixed back to block won't compress any meaningful amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How deep did you cut? If you only cut the plasterboard then your problem is that its stuck to the insulation, as it looks like insulated plasterboard to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

If worried about weight, IE Large tv etc .Use a solid spacer through the insulated board. Piece of hydrodare hose heavy guage 1/2'' ..would do. I made up some nylon ones.

I used frame fixers on mine. Supports a 84'' beast..

Drill your 10mm masonry hole into concrete block. Use holesaw to open hole in plasterbord, insert spacer and fixing..

Advertisement