Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic Tank Integrity

Options
  • 28-04-2024 10:19pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

Bit of a problem. Gravity-fed Concrete cast tank down near my garage. Been getting the tank emptied every 12/13 months. Last time out (a month ago) the company noted that there was rainwater getting in somewhere and possibly too much for the percolation. Last week I discovered the top of the concrete around the manhole cover had collapsed (about 15x25cm hole) and the dirt and stone over it was sunken in (so I trowelled out the hole to see the damage). It's likely the issue for the rainfall getting in recently. I had a look inside and there's no other cracks.

Anyway fast forward a few days, I have just about have the money to replace it and get a pump done, it would have put my mind at ease. Quotes are around 5-6k for tank + groundworks. Most companies very slow to get anything assessed or even rough prices. My local company however has said they want to do a full percolation test (700 eur), and if it fails it'll add 7-12k to the price to get that up to standard (depending on amount of work done). I have nowhere near that amount of money.

I may have similar answers from other companies, but am I **** out of luck here? Can I just insist on the tank being swapped out (and check percolation down the line as I cannot afford it)? Or is the existing tank repairable?

Advertisement