Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing to a new CE scheme

• 29-04-2024 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I hope it's okay to share this here. A few months ago, I joined a CE scheme in a kitchen, but now I regret it. The people I work with are lovely, but the building is in poor condition. I'm surprised it passed the health inspection; for instance, the sinks aren't big enough for washing trays or pots properly, and there's black mold on some of the walls. Additionally, I'm expected to do a lot of heavy lifting without any manual handling training, and I haven't obtained the food safety certificate yet.

Furthermore, there hasn't been any mention of further training, which I believed was a benefit of participating in a scheme like this. Currently, I'm mostly peeling and chopping vegetables, and I often have to work beyond the 19.5 hours. So, in total, I estimate I'm earning around one euro per hour extra on top of my social welfare payment.

I know I should probably discuss this with social welfare, but does anyone know if it's possible to switch to a different CE scheme without waiting a year or two for reapplication?

I know I could always try and find a proper paid job but I don't have many qualifications and my only experience is working in kitchens so I'm looking for something to help me reskill.

Comments

Advertisement