Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is dublin safe for foreigners students

Options
  • 29-04-2024 4:23pm
    Applicant Posts: 5

Hi Folks,

My son wants to study engineering at TU Dublin bolton street. We are from Spain. I wonder if it is safe around this college area.

Thank you.

Post edited by Spear on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Dublin is a relatively safe city for Europe but should still use common sense.

The north inner city is a little rougher than the south but really you should be streetwise everywhere.

• Applicant Posts: 5 davidwf

Thank you for your reply. It will be his first time abroad... I just want to make sure he will be safe.…

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It's a safe enough area.

Not your ornery onager

Thank you 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Bolton street has gotten a lot nicer in recent years, but some areas nearby can be a bit rough

Dublin is about as safe as any other city, there's always going to be some degree of risk when going out

It's worth checking if the university has some social events for prospective students. It would be helpful if he had some friends before arriving who knew the city a bit better

It's possible the university could help with this

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Thank you so much for the reply. I want to check with him there as well. I will send an email for the University. He looks also Galway, Dundalk and Cork. According to my son Dublin is best for foreign students.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SteM

Bolton Street is fine but if I had a friend coming over from Spain to study I'd encourage them to pick Galway or Cork over Dublin tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Dublin is safe but someone should still be cautious.

There's always a few dodgy people and the Northside is a little rougher than the southside.

I'm not sure which part of Spain you're from but for example Barcelona would be dodgier than Dublin but I wouldn't feel nervous visiting there. Just take the usual precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

TUD have several campuses where engineering is taught ,check with the college which campus he will be studying in

Thank u guys....I can see irish people are so kind,thank u for the insights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Fratertv

There are some attacks by younger teenagers towards foreigners. Because Ireland is fight against illegal immigrants. However they are put all the foreigners in the same boat. I don't mean all irish people but some trouble teenagers. It is better not study in the city center around bolton street. Go to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Davis84

It is true a lot of foreigners have been attacked in Ireland. It is all over the news. They are not separated illegals, students and Europeans.

Advertisement