Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Doors hinge adjustment

Options
  • 30-04-2024 5:51pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Need a bit of help.

My double doors going out to the garden have dropped and Ive tried to adjust them but I noticed that the top hinge has come away from the frame of the house so no amount of adjustment will fix it until I retighten the hinge to the frame.

Does anyone know how I lift the door off the hinge. Found an online manual that says I should be able to lift the door off when the door is opened but Ive tried everything and its not budging. I thin k Im missing something.

Thanks.

Hell.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

This is the one thats detached - Hard to get a good picture of it - but you can actually see light right through it at the top part so its come away from the frame.

My plan is to take the door off , use a larger or longer screw if I have to to tighten it against the frame - it may actually just need tightening but the only way to open teh door at the minute is to lift it so I can open it. And coming into the "good" weather I need to be able to open it.

Again thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That hinge is detached by removing the plastic filler plate by inserting a screwdriver as shown and then levering upwards which should give you access to a hex/allen bolt.

You'll need assistance to dismount the door, it's going to be around 40kgs and you don't want that weight twisting on one remaining hinge otherwise you'll need a whole new door.

The hinge might just need tightening into the frame, or as you said a longer screw, but try to install the new screw into both sides of the metal U channel within the frame so that it gets a good grip.

You may need to pre-drill the hole using a HSS bit to get the screw in.

Hope this makes sense.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Theres 2 bolts under that cover.

I thought I had tried that previously to remove the bolt and it only adjusted the door up slightly so maybe Im removing the wrong one???

This is what I have when I pop that cover off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

As far as I can see its the fulcrum bolt that needs to be removed - ie the one on the outside of the hinge rather than the one nearest the frame. The one at the frame is likely to be the height adjustment.

Advertisement