Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That they may face the rising sun.

Options
  • 30-04-2024 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

What can I say, the film story is hopeless,we waited for something to happen but near the end having literally been through the rosary we had to leave. Maybe someone will like it,who knows.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s a superb film IMO, easily the best Irish film since An Cailín Ciúin.

Pat Collins is one of our finest filmmakers, able to find the poetry in landscapes, gestures, music, pretty much everything. This is in some ways a more straightforwardly accessible film than even his previous narrative feature Song of Granite (that being prone to extended performance sequences), but it still has that sense of quiet reverence for the people and the places he’s filming that has defined his work. I think here it’s a tribute to and elegy for a particular place and time, and indeed a way of life that has been eroded over the years. I haven’t read the novel, but there’s definitely a literary sense to material here - quiet, observational, poetic.

It boasts two of the best Irish performances in years too, from Lalor Roddy and Sean McGinley. Both capture a particular type of older person we can probably all recognise from our own lives and communities, but with a specificity and sadness that is incredibly moving and compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭MfMan

The book was a dud anyway, peopled by idiots and simpletons. Even Leitrim, rural as it is, was surely never that rustic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the book is a phenomenal piece of work. i must reread it; i've not seen the movie, alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Went to see this last night and loved every minute of it, johnny_ultimate's review above is perfect. My wife and I both read the book when it came out and would be big fans of McGahern's work. I think this is a beautiful film and moved me in similar ways to Cailin Ciun. Only downside for us was that the cinema had subtitles/ closed captions which we absolutely hate, were completely unnecessary and a distraction for us.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It's years since I read the book. I have heard great things about the film.
    Looking forward to seeing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Beautifully expressed, and I fully agree.
    I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Subtitles in Ireland or are you living abroad? Probably a projection glitch (or hearing deficit screening) if the former. Id be demanding a refund if it was an accident!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Dunno what it was about nor what it was supposed to be about.

Trundled along - maybe the book lost something in translation into the movie.

Advertisement