Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dublin airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I've flown in / out of Dublin Airport in the last month and used the Applegreen Electric in Santry (< 5 mins from the Airport), topping up to 90%+ before I parked the car, knowing that I only needed 50% to get me home without stopping.

Enjoy the break then, secure in the knowledge that you will simply arrive back and drive, without worrying about charging at night with tired kids to deal with. If you are worried about range on the way home, just drive at 110 instead of 120, it won't make that much difference to your travel time.

If you want to drive at the speed limit +vat but you are worried about your range, research other DC fast chargers on Plugshare that are around 150km from the airport on your route, (50km from your house), and try them out before you travel so that you have your "bail out" option if you need a 5 mins top up to get you home.

Enjoy the break!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’d be in favour of getting to the airport with the battery as close as possible to 90%, as it means you’ll get most of the way home on that same charge, so if you do need a stop on the route home, it’ll be close to home and you’ll be more precise in terms of you’ll know you only need 18% or whatever to make it home, and won’t need to ‘take on a few extra kWh’ for all eventualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭MarkN

there’s 6 chargers on 1st floor of short term T1 C… a gamble that there’s one free but I am often in the airport and rarely see them all being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭obi604

I checked this on google maps and navigated up the side road etc but could not see the chargers, image is from April 2023 so chargers may not have been installed then

The Google Maps image is out of date. See the Plugshare link above for more photos….

• Advertisement

The chargers only went in there in September 2023

That petrol station is very close to the airport… my mother waits there to collect us, and when we clear passport control, I call her and she heads up to departures to collect us…

https://www.plugshare.com/location/540596

Thanks, so what do ye reckon is best/less quiet

• Applegreen Santry
    • Circle K at the M1/M50 interchange

I would suggest Applegreen as there are 4x CCS plugs there…

use their app, and when on the M50 approaching the M1 interchange, see how many chargers are available and if the site is full, then maybe head to CircleK, but if there are chargers available, then head for there…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'm assuming you want at least 90% for your return journey if you expect to use 80%. It might be more efficient to go with the Enfield option, depending on your charge curve. It can take as long to get from 80-100% as it does to go from 10-80%. So if you charge to 80% at Enfield, you're going to arrive at the airport at around 65%.

I'm not sure where you're heading, but you've a number of options to catch your charge curve on the way back and again minimise charge time.

heading to Galway so Enfield may indeed be the best option

• Advertisement

I presume deepest westest Galway to get a distance of 250km?

If so, you've a number of options. Ionity Athlone would be comfortable (estimate 25% SoC) and you could (depending on your car's capabilities) take in up to 55% in about 15 minutes (based on 150kWh) leaving you a nice comfortable 80% to get home.

Doing it that way would mean the fastest charging possible without putting pressure on you at the arrival and leaving stage at the airport. Always the most fraught part of the journey anyway.

no- east Galway, 200km from Dublin airport, but then add 50km to get to Dublin airport from Enfield

So 150 to Enfield and 50 to the airport and your expected range is about 250?

Probably still go with that route, but your SoC at the charge points will be slightly different. On the way up, you'd be at about 40%, charge to 80% in about 10 minutes (could push that to 90% but would probably take another 10) and arrive at the airport with 60% in the tank.

On the way back, stopping in Athlone would be about 10% (more if you pushed it above 80 in Enfield) and you'd again be on the road with 50% in about ten minutes. No point in paying for more than you need to get home with a reasonable surplus.

actually, ABRP thinks I can do the round trip with 1 x 9 minute charge on way back. but a bit ambitious and cutting it tight.

My thinking now is this: Leave house at 100%, stop at enfield on way up when battery is at about 55%, charge for 30 mins and that might do me for whole trip

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭eagerv

Not sure if already mentioned, but what is the car?

2021. Id4 with 77 battery. 60,000 KM on the clock.

ABRP has the right idea. Except just add another five to ten minutes at Enfield and you're golden. That's the better option because you're at a low enough SoC on the way back to maximise your charge time.

I know you reckon your car has a range of 250km, but you also said you'd be doing about 22kWh/100km on the motorway. That adds up to over 300km off a 70kWh battery. So ABRP would seem to be quite accurate. Even if it's out by 10% that still leaves you plenty to get back to Enfield from the airport. So instead of 28% it might be as low as 20%. Quite a big margin there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'd second the vote for Applegreen, two chargers with two plugs each quadruples the chance of getting a charge

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

How are the size of spaces at Dublin Airport? Haven’t flown out of there in 20 years and I’ll be brining the EV9 in July. It can be a pain in the arse with its size in certain car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,164 ✭✭✭pad199207

EV9’s don’t do ‘Car Parks’ they prefer ‘Parking Lots’ 😁

• Advertisement

As in lots of parking to squeeze it in to a parking space?

I've only ever parked in the long term blue car park (yep, the one on the other side of the airport)

The spaces are grand due to the whole place being a gravel field with no marked spaces

If you are going to the Express Red, then you will struggle to park the EV9 anywhere other than along the edge of the internal roads.

You can park in one of the regular spaces, but you won't be able to open any of the doors once you park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Theoretically, not an issue, as you can remotely drive it in and out. Small issue of being a complete and utter bollix to those next to you…. so that's out.

Blue sounds ideal, it's also the only option left on site. The EV9 is a fantastic car, but it really is too large for the infrastructure over here.

• is there anyway you can borrow an ice car? Sounds like your electric car is only daysing you stress with your late arrival and family

na, hadn’t even entered my head about an ICE. No major stress, with this planning well in advance, I hope to take away all the stress and just know where I’m going to charge in advance.

Fail to prepare and all that……

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Apple Green place sounds like the best idea. I'm planning for later in the year myself.

My experience of the traffic along the Swords road is that it can be quite slow, particularly during rush hour

Generally not a standstill, but just make sure you've got some spare time

Turning right into the Applegreen can be a bit of fun as well when the road is busy, watch out for taxis or buses speeding through the bus lane

There's also usually a few cyclists coming from the city to watch out for

I know we're all careful and considerate drivers, but a bit extra caution is advisable considering travelling to the airport is usually stressful

I'd go as far as to suggest coming off the M50 at Ballymun and getting onto the Swords Road via Santry Ave;

At least then they are on the right side of the road…

• Advertisement

True, although traffic can be pretty slow that way as well as I recall

Basically, give yourself lots of time is the key message 😁

Advertisement