Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper conversion

Options
  • 01-05-2024 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all

I have a an iveco daily 3.0 I'm converting

And I'm well into the build but now I'm starting to get very paranoid as the van have a twin rear wheel and originally was rated at 7.5 t but was derated to 3.5t

My question is weither wen I convert it will they class it as 7.5 and that a c1 licence would be needed to drive it

Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

First thing I would wonder is the kerbweight of the empty van. I was under the impression that a 7.2 ton IVECO weighs around 2.7 ton empty, add in 2 people a their luggage and you’re up around 2.9 ton. That doesn’t leave much scope for converting and staying under 3.5 ton.
    We did a pretty comprehensive conversion but using lightweight ply, we added around 900kg to the van.

I’d be prepared for replating the van and getting a a C licence. You’ve an extra 600kg most vans don’t have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gerroo

Thanks colm

That was a real concern for me there is 6 of us 2 adults 4 kids and I'm trying to do it all as light as I can, did you gave any issue with up plating and getting the c licence

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

we were lucky enough to not have to replate because the van was 2100kg to start with,

Given your van was originally 7.2t itll probably be straightforward to replate again. You haven’t a hope of staying under 3.5t even if all you do is fit windows and seats for the 6 of you 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gerroo

Cheers lad

I'll keep you informed on how I get on

🤞 Happy camping

Advertisement