Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nct ,the Guards etc

Options
  • 01-05-2024 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

I took the car in last April and it failed the dipped lights.

I was given a month to fix them and I tried to do this myself .

When I took it back ,almost a month later it failed again but the tester said to take it to the garage next door and bring it back the same day (today)

The garage took it in very quickly(I mean I didn't have to wait much) and aligned the dips using their optical instrumentation .

They said to go back to the NCT and show it to them again (and come back)

It failed again .

On the Fail report I just have until tomorrow to get a retest(at 28 euro= half price)

The garage could only take me again in a weeks time.

If I get stopped by the Guards tomorrow (I need to take a long journey) will they confiscate the car ?

I can't book a test for next week as it is all greyed out after 2 May.

I think on the 3rd I should be able to book a test for after the garage has seen it again but tomorrow(and today) I won't be able to book a retest(ie a full test) as the system won't let me.

It is quite an important appointment I have tomorrow.Is it just too risky to attempt the journey?

I did ring the NCT on the Dublin number and they just said it was illegal to drive the car without an NCT and it would be at the Guards discretion if I was stopped.

Would it be easy/possible to find a different garage to fix the lights at very short notice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭RINO87

In the very very very unlikely event that any Garda will even say anything, just show them the fail sheet showing the only failure was the lights, you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Check your insurance policy. A lot require an NCT, they all require a car to be road worthy and a car which can't legally be on the road would give them an easy out.

Advertisement