Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom sink

Options
  • 01-05-2024 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a loose bathroom sink tap, Ithought it was the nut that was loose. I got a basin wrench like the one attached but can't seem to move the nut at all. The tap seemed to come loose all of a sudden a few weeks ago.

Hope the attached pics explain the issue and guidance on how to fix it would be great. I have tried the sink wrench and spanners and it's impossible to adjust nut although how hard it is to get to isn't helping!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi! It's not the silver nut which holds the tap onto the basin, it's the black plastic finger-nut above it that you need to tighten. There are two types - one like a standard nut and one with two finger wings to hand-tighten. Which were you tightening? If needs be use some WD40

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Ted222

Had a similar problem a while ago.

Take your first photo showing the gap. In my case there’s a plate directly under the gap for the tap with two small screws that go into the base of the tap itself. Really tricky to get at.

I hand tightened them and it held for a while. Then I had to do it again with a tiny spanner and pliers. Nearly needed physio after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭06608124

Haha. It's amazing how much I surprise myself each time by not spotting the obvious. So this has been bothering me a while, bought a special wrench after some googling, had another boards post up, was worried water was going to begin leaking etc etc. After tonight I was going to ring a plumber.

Read your message and realised to your point, messing with the completely wrong part. Went in and hand tightened there and much better. It's gas but to someone like me, such plain/dumbeddown response are important 😆

Thanks so much! I really appreciate this. All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭06608124

Thanks so much for this too. Would have copped that I was doing it completely wrong from this too! Managed to tighten mine a good bit by hand, no screws, so hopeful I can tighten more with a wrench later. !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Advertisement
Advertisement