Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 of the best SIM-only deals right now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

Depends on what you consider "best".

GoMo is owned Eir. 48, Tesco and Virgin are on 3. Clear is owned by Vodafone. Depending on which network best serves you.

If you're happy with online only support - GoMo or 48. If you specifically want prepay only - 48.

If you need to be able to walk into a shop somewhere and speak face-to-face with someone - Tesco or Virgin. If you specifically want prepay only - Tesco.

Clear - wouldn't bother to be honest. Data is capped at 5Mbps at best and the Vodafone network is going backwards with more and more areas being left with just EDGE as they switch off 3G and never bothered upgrading large parts of the country to 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

I am on the €9.99 month SIM only plan from Eir. Although it is supposed to increase after 12-months, it is only a 30-day contract. I just call them up each year, and they renew. I have been doing this for 6 years, and there is never any problem getting renewal at €9.99pm for another 12 months.

They also do TV for €9.99 per month including a free Apple TV 4K box and Amazon Prime Video, with no extra monthly fee for multi-room, and again there is never a problem getting them to renew the discount each year. These are the best deals around, if you are able to bundle with Broadband. Eir (including their GoMo offering) are also the only network to offer full support for WiFi calling, including use for texting and while roaming - and this is a great way of avoiding roaming costs when outside of the EU. Their 5G coverage is excellent, and the Comreg maps show that it is now way better than Vodafone, who were once the best network for coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Is the eir €9.99 offer a legacy one? I dont see this on their site.

€9.99pm is not a legacy offer - it is still on their website, and has been available consistently for years at this price. However, this price is only available for SIMs added to a broadband bundle. For example, if you select the €34.99 basic fibre broadband bundle, you will then be offered to add on SIM-only only mobile or TV for €9.99pm each. It is also referred to on the following website, if you look towards the end of the page where there is a banner headed "See some benefits of eir broadband" - and 3 boxes within the banner. The box on the right shows the SIM-only pricing of €9.99pm.

https://www.eir.ie/shop/broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

@babelfish1990

Thanks..I don't have eir bb so that explains it. It's a good deal to bundle all these together. I just exited VF Gigabit BB contract. I am looking to just have a Sim only /pre-pay internet via a 4g router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭jonnybangbang

I had 48 before and I had it for years at the €8.99 rate but i found that it worked perfectly while here in Ireland and i would not be hesitant in recommending them …. i found that if travelling abroad the service was very hit and miss and mostly miss.

When roaming, it would not connect to foreign networks automatically. You needed to manually input the settings in order for it to work to use calls and data .. which when you don't have internet access is hard to look up an do. 🤷‍♂️

As i now travel abroad for work, I'm currently with Vodafone pay as you go for €25. This gives me unlimited Calls , texts and data (5g) while here in Ireland and generally i don't need to worry when i'm roaming.

• while writing this reply i checked vodafone and the offer is now €20 per month and i switched over.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭jonnreeks

Hi, by the by how do you pay this amount? Is this €9.99 month SIM only plan from Eir separate to your current Eir bill and paid monthly or does it have to be part of it?

😜

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Eir, well what else is there to say. exposed again last week for crap service and burying complaints.

i run 4 gomo sims, super reliable but got in at the beginning so only pay 9.99 each. i know they are eir but no need to contact them.

Have 1 48 sim and its gone down multiple times. Finally have a 12.99 clearmobile sim in a router on a mountain. It provides wifi at 5 meg, super reliable and fit for the person who needs wifi on her phone and mass on her tv.....

The €9.99pm SIM-only plan is an add-on to an Eir bundle. It is included on the normal bill - not separate. You can have several SIMs for different household members, if necessary - each is €9.99pm. This deal is only available if you bundle with Broadband. The original poster who posed the question had been offered the €9.99pm plan by Eir, so the assumption is that he was in a position to bundle.

As you have observed - the Eir network (which you use for GoMo) is extremely reliable - and you yourself have found it more robust than 48. Personally, I have never had an issue with customer service - but since the network is reliable, the only time I ever have to engage with customer service is once a year, to renew my discounts. I have always found them efficient and agreeable when renewing. During the pandemic, it took longer for them to answer, like most other utilities - but I still got the discounts each year, and the network kept working. With a Million+ customers, I have no doubt that there are some customers that have had different experiences - but it certainly isn't all of us. Regarding Clear Mobile - I can see that it might work for some - but the severe capping at 5Mbps would be too much of a restriction for most users.

• Advertisement
Advertisement