Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental heath

• 03-05-2024 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭

I have mental health issues myself but this question is about someone I know.

He has OCD and is not able to do one particular task that is in his duties however his co-workers are fine with doing his share of that task in exchange for him help them at something else. His manager is aware of the situation and as long as the others are okay with it he doesn’t care.

Now the head of HR knows about the OCD and had a meeting with the guy and his manager. She asked some questions he wasn’t comfortable with but he wasn’t expecting them and answered. He says though that there was no deliberate pressure put on him and there was no malice. And she asked how they could help, etc. He said there nothing they could help with and that his OCD is causing problems.

However she wants a letter or phone call from his therapist for their “records” and something about “duty of care”, etc.

He said okay but he doesn’t want to do it. There is nothing anyone can do and it isn’t currently causing any issues in work. There is no danger to himself or others. And he just isn’t comfortable with the attention.

Does he have to give them what they asked for?
    There is no benefit to anyone in doing it and there is zero danger involved. He was going to a HSE therapist but that ended a couple of weeks ago. I have told him he doesn’t have too, as have a couple of his colleagues.Are we correct?

The guy just a wants to be left alone and actually room the job because a lot of it was a challenge to his OCD and he says it has helped him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,054 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The accommodation needs to be documented and a professional needs to say that it is all that is required.

Otherwise the company is left wide open to him making a claim against them.

Or a new manager or colleague comes in, and isn't haply that he cannot do the job he's supposedly to be doing: If there's no documentation, it's a problem for him. With documentation, they have to suck it up.

Advertisement