Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP.ie bought by the Irish Times

• 04-05-2024 8:06am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There was piece on Liveline yesterday about the recent sale of RIP.ie to the Irish Times.

As well as the question of whether the site would continue be free to view there were also concerns expressed by a genealogist about the archive of death notices and condolences that RIP.ie has amassed over the years and what is to become of that.

Link here if anyone wants to listen back:- https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22391502/

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

No fan of the Irish Times. I can see the adverts for death notice applications and anniversaries. My dad used the Irish Times to publish mums death notice. I didn't use the Irish Times or any print media when dad died because there was no need to use print media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭JVince

Usual misinformed crap

Rip is an "advertising" site. They make their substantial profit (,reduced last couple of years because larger salaries and pensions were paid) from charging for the notices - just like myhome.ie charges for listing a property.

If myhome started to charge to look at the house adverts would anyone pay? - very very few. This would lead to total destruction of main revenue stream.

EXACT same with rip.ie - it's very basic business, but you'll will find people who will search for a negative in anything even if it makes no sense whatsoever.

Irish times also owns myhome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Their website would contradict with what you said. It says publishing a death notice is a free service as are other family notices. I actually don’t know how they make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Anyone know how much it was sold for ??

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭55Gem

There is a charge for other family notices, Months Mine €20, Anniversary €30 and so on. Click on Create a Family Notice near the bottom of the main page on RIP.ie.I don’t have it to hand but will check the invoice for the undertaker to see if there a a charge for the Death Notice for my mother. In the FAQ it says Death Notices are free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RIP is an excellent resource.

I hope the IT take care of the archive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I'm not sure it is free?

When the funeral director published a death notice for one of my family member's we did pay a charge or that, (something minimal like €10).

Now - what I can't tell you is if that was a charge applied by the funeral director as part of their service, or an RIP.ie charge they paid on our behalf and billed us for as part of the funeral costs.

(eta) yep, went back and checked the bill from the Funeral Director, the cost listed for RIP.ie was €10. This was in 2020.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭cobham

I tried to get my brother's death into RIP but was told it could only be put up by an undertaker. I put a notice in the Irish Times but they also wanted confirmation from the Australian undertaker. I thought RIP might just 'copy and paste' but no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭JVince

seems its the advertising that they make most of their income from.

And therefore there's no chance they will charge a fee to view notices as advertising revenue will dry up. I suspect that may offer "premium listings" for a fee at some point with basic listings staying free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I had a feeling something was afoot last year I think, I had asked here about it. I used to have several different options available to me on RIP.ie which was brilliant and I had a number of family names come up. It seems to be the norm now to include names of children, siblings, in-laws, all very helpful for the family tree. But when it changed I couldn't get alerts for particular parishes as I did before. Hope IT improves things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The Irish Times has confirmed that RIP.ie will still be free to use.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,889 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Usual misinformed crap

Rip is an "advertising" site. They make their substantial profit (,reduced last couple of years because larger salaries and pensions were paid) from charging for the notices - just like myhome.ie charges for listing a property.

If myhome started to charge to look at the house adverts would anyone pay? - very very few. This would lead to total destruction of main revenue stream.

EXACT same with rip.ie - it's very basic business, but you'll will find people who will search for a negative in anything even if it makes no sense whatsoever.

Irish times also owns myhome

I know what you mean.

Advertisement